Butchering without gutting.

Broth from homegrown CX is more flavorful. Since usually they move more...
Broth from Heritage will knock your socks off. ... since it's older and moves a lot
We were hoping the “free range” CX will taste better, but at the same time I’ve been trying not to get my hopes up. They do go outside but, true to the CX, they just lay there.

H
Sounds like when I was a kid. Butcher day was always a great day. Rendering pork fat in a large pot on a wood fire. Making pork rinds. Sausage. Yum. Everybody had a bowl of lard & bacon grease to cook with.

Chickens? I didn't know what store bought was. Always 50 running around the barnyard. Whatever feed the other animals spilled the chickens cleaned up. Barnyard vultures.
:gigBarnyard vultures indeed!
That just sounds so wholesome and soul warming. I think that's what I keep chasing after for my own kids.

Curious as to why no hearts and gizzards??? If you like organ meat, but don't want it TOO strong, you can make chicken pate and use it as a spread on crackers. Basically a little onion, garlic, pinch of thyme, plus equal amounts of heart/liver/gizzard by weight (I wouldn't mind reducing the liver some, I'm not fond of the strong "mineral" flavor) cooked to done, then processed into a paste suitable for spreading, usually with another addition to get the consistency "right". We often use cream cheese, but I've seen it done with mayo, heavy cream, and even this recipe, which uses duck offal and tomato paste!

Duck Pate Recipe example

as with most classic forcemeat recipes, "ya use what ya gots!"
This is fantastic! I am not a hearts and gizzards person but the rest of my family is. I will totally try this, will also keep the organs from freezer burning. Thanks so much!

We split ours open and do not pluck. Breast the birds out and slice the legs out. Then debone them, chunk it all and can the white and leg meat separate. Between half a pig, several deer I cannot have whole chickens with hollow cavities eating freezer space. Besides I think we use they meat just as easy this way for other meals.
Okay I've never processed so pardon me if i say something stupid. :)
You said you don't pluck so am i correct in that you are doing "Skinless" chicken ? now for the dumb question. how deep do the feathers go ?? Does the skin pull back like when you skin a fur animal (deer/rabbit) with the feathers still attached. I cut up store bought chickens and carve a whole cooked bird so I'm good with that. I'm really interested in processing without having to gut since I don't cook whole birds anymore. Also mom used to save the margarine (yuk) containers and freeze smaller portions of chicken stock. I'm sure there are similar containers out there today that would work the same way.

Okay I've never processed so pardon me if i say something stupid. :)
You said you don't pluck so am i correct in that you are doing "Skinless" chicken ? now for the dumb question. how deep do the feathers go ?? Does the skin pull back like when you skin a fur animal (deer/rabbit) with the feathers still attached. I cut up store bought chickens and carve a whole cooked bird so I'm good with that. I'm really interested in processing without having to gut since I don't cook whole birds anymore. Also mom used to save the margarine (yuk) containers and freeze smaller portions of chicken stock. I'm sure there are similar containers out there today that would work the same way.
This isn't gutless, but shows skinning

Back
Top Bottom