Butchering your roosters!

Pics
just go to "whizbang pluckers" on the internet.
all kinds of information there.
the guy sells a booklet for about $15.oo with complete plans on how to build one.
He also sells most of the parts you need.
except the motor.
somewhere here on byc he is a sponsor.
I had a book but I loaned it out and it never found it's way back home.
to buy the components from the guy it costs about $700.oo I think.
I make all my parts and I can put one together for about $250.oo
You also have to build a frame for it.
I make my frames out of clear red oak.
I have lots of red oak lumber stockpiled from a large tree we cut down about ten years ago.
I took lots of pictures when I built my last one. there is not a metal fastener in the whole wooden frame. all tenon and mortise joints with a few dowels thrown in ..
I use a one horse electric motor.
chain drive.
I can send you pictures if you like.

I sell mine for $1200.oo.
picked up here..

.......jiminwisc......

Mine made it through the Texas summer just fine. Honestly, they are so cute! They are short to the ground so they don't always make it to the "treats" fast enough, when I throw some out, so I'll sneak around and see where they are and try to give them some first. I have three of them and when I got them I wasn't sure if I would be butcherin but I had CX once and they remind me of them (as far as big breasts) but they are "real" chickens, lol, so they are with the rest of the flock. I'm gettin more to raise for butcherin. They lay small white eggs, about the size of Ameraucana eggs
Did you order them from a hatchery? How well would you say they lay, or are they meat only? Heat resistant and tasty are high priorities, but laying some eggs would be nice, too.

They lay at least every other day and sometimes everyday. They are also known to be broody though mine have not done so yet (they aren't a year old yet). I got them from a feed store here that orders from different hatcheries and I have been able to raise about 15 different breeds so far which has really helped me to hone down what breeds I like or don't like. I have not butchered the Dorkings but will be orderin more for that purpose. They are known for their meat. I'm hopin the ones I have now will be brooders and great moms.

They lay at least every other day and sometimes everyday. They are also known to be broody though mine have not done so yet (they aren't a year old yet). I got them from a feed store here that orders from different hatcheries and I have been able to raise about 15 different breeds so far which has really helped me to hone down what breeds I like or don't like. I have not butchered the Dorkings but will be orderin more for that purpose. They are known for their meat. I'm hopin the ones I have now will be brooders and great moms.
Sometimes the birds you get do not live up to their reputations. Always nice to hear first hand from another person, not sales literature!

Sometimes the birds you get do not live up to their reputations. Always nice to hear first hand from another person, not sales literature!
Agreed! I really love this feed store, they are always bringin in new breeds and it's been a blast just gettin 2 of each different breed I want to try. On the other hand, it's funny how some of us can have the exact same breed and one ends up with "the chickens from Hades" and another says they are the most docile, lovin chicken they have ever owned. :lau

Agreed! I really love this feed store, they are always bringin in new breeds and it's been a blast just gettin 2 of each different breed I want to try. On the other hand, it's funny how some of us can have the exact same breed and one ends up with "the chickens from Hades" and another says they are the most docile, lovin chicken they have ever owned. :lau
True, "your mileage may vary"! A lot has to do with the raiser of the birds. I have a parrot, rejected bird off of Craigs List, best bird around for me! I had some Orpingtons in the past, and they never got up to the advertised weight. Now, another line, might get to the standard weight. I have not had chickens for 20 years, so doing some research on what is out there now.

True, "your mileage may vary"! A lot has to do with the raiser of the birds. I have a parrot, rejected bird off of Craigs List, best bird around for me! I had some Orpingtons in the past, and they never got up to the advertised weight. Now, another line, might get to the standard weight. I have not had chickens for 20 years, so doing some research on what is out there now.
I look forward to hearin what breed(s) you have decided to start with...:highfive:

I look forward to hearin what breed(s) you have decided to start with...:highfive:
First I have to get a suitable place. We just moved to AZ and are looking around Prescott, but everything we like is expensive, of course! Looking for a place that I could have roosters. Might be hot, so interested in what could survive the summers around here!

First I have to get a suitable place. We just moved to AZ and are looking around Prescott, but everything we like is expensive, of course! Looking for a place that I could have roosters. Might be hot, so interested in what could survive the summers around here!
Go to the Arizona state forum thread and start readin or askin. You'll probably get a great idea and may be able to pick up some from a fellow BYC'er!:highfive:

Back
Top Bottom