Butt blocked on Roo?

He's a beauty, but he's not feeling well is he :(

Crop is emptying overnight? No lesions inside the beak or throat?
I would be inclined to try the Tylan to see if that helps.
At this point, you may want to consider treating again for Coccidiosis and worms too. The white urates, he may have some kidney disfunction, it would really be hard to know unless you lose him and have a necropsy.

Maybe consider treating for vent gleet - but I want to say that the discharge on him is more like Enteritis. Is there a heavy yeasty odor or does it smell more like urine?
Smells yeasty on the discharge. Treating for worms right. Using coconut oil on the crusty stuff and massaging it in some of the scabby looking ring is slowly falling away.
Feeding him by hand the following
Scrambled egg and a bit of plain organic yogurt alternating with cooked white rice( small amounts at a time) and mash. Mostly doing water by dropper about an 8th of a cup every half hour because he became dehydrated. The water has dewormer ( pig swig) but I am waiting for a delivery of food grade diatomaceous earth to add to his food. Will be here monday the 8th. Any other good suggestions??? And yes he has vent gleet. He is getting a nice warm butt bath each morning.
I feel so bad because I didn't know his vent was so crusted until he started standing around and not joining the other flock. I was so shocked. Since then we checked the other Roo and the hens. Non of them had vent gleet but we did bathe them and made sure they were ok. Also deworming them as a precaution.

The pig swig (piperazine) should take care of roundworms.

If he smells yeasty - vent gleet, then I would treat him with an anti-fungal. Nystatin or some use Miconazole or Clotrimazole. While it's good to use an anti-fungal topically on the vent, you would want him to take it orally as well. Nystatin can usually be ordered through pigeon supply houses and the other 2 are found over the counter at places like Walmart.

As for DE, personally I wouldn't bother with it. Too many folks have used it thinking it will deworm their flock only to find out later it was ineffective. It can be used in dust bathing areas, it's added to feed (by the manufacturer) to help control grain weevils, etc.

Thanks for trying to clear this up for me. I'm still not clear on what we're dealing with - poopy crust or a crusted over wound. If this is a wound, do you know how long it's been like this? Is this the first you've noticed it?

Two years ago, I discovered a hen of mine with a serious wound on her tail nub that looked a lot like this. I soaked her and debrided the wound and treated it for weeks. It did not heal even a smidge. The hen became lethargic and appeared to be in a lot of pain. Finally, I euthanized her because she was only getting worse in spite of my care.

A few months went by and I saw a thread with a similar wound here on BYC. It turned out it was a squamous cell carcinoma. A wound that does not heal in spite of careful and consistent treatment is very likely cancer.
I’m so sorry to hear about your hen. Do you have a picture of that? Can never learn enough! I feel like we’ve had all sorts of nub and back end problems here. Geez, we are all becoming a bunch of chicken doctors lol who’d a thunk

oohh my GOD!!!!
I had a female chicken and her cone on top turned purple! she died after... in my arms... :(
purple cone means the loss of air! the bird is loosing air!!
white cone means the loss of blood! the bird has mites and mites suck there blood.
like a white skinny cone ( looks destroyed) means frost bight and needs treat meant.
I saw the pic of the cone! if its not purple then i am over reacting... but if it is … try your best to find a vet before its to late!

Back
Top Bottom