Buttercups

My Buttercup is the cutest thing. She comes up to the fence and makes this adorable soft "krik krik" sound. Which is what I named her. :)

She's got a nice big fully developed comb, is 24 weeks old today, and has not started laying. Isn't this rather late for a Mediterranean bird?

My Buttercup is the cutest thing. She comes up to the fence and makes this adorable soft "krik krik" sound. Which is what I named her.
smile.png

She's got a nice big fully developed comb, is 24 weeks old today, and has not started laying. Isn't this rather late for a Mediterranean bird?
Hmmm.... I don't remember. Mine must have not waited too long last year. I don't recall waiting till winter like in years past.
Maybe the last little spate of hot weather delayed her. My chickens slowed down or stopped. Now back to normal.
Mine is like "Tigger" in the "Winnie the Pooh" stories, bounces around the yard full of curiosity.

Imp

Can someone tell me if the buttercup pullets get a red comb earlier than other breeds? I have a couple buttercup crosses and they all have gotten really red combs early, but nothing else screams rooster. Because they are crosses I'm having a difficult time with sexing. Pictures for comparison would be great.

I have a couple of buttercups and I've been lucky I guess as all of them are calm and they run up to me when I'm feeding the roo is a bit timid but the hens are pretty casual about everything. Also I have an open top on my chicken coop where I keep them and they've never flown out. Plus I have an egg almost every other day from each hen.

We just bought 2 tiny buttercup chicks at a local poultry auction. Whew! I'm glad this is all we brought home. We have been on rotation for a couple of hours now, making them drink electrolytes, no mash yet. They both had the worst pasty butt ever. Huge plugs we had to soak and swab clean. They were too weak to stand and as of yet can only walk backwards but at least that's an improvement. Are they very hardy chicks? Is pasty butt common in this breed because of their shape & posture? Also, I can't tell if one of them has splayed legs or not; I've never dealt with that before & am hoping that as she (fingers crossed) gets a little stronger will be fine.

I have only 2 buttercups. One is a roo and one a hen. I did buy them as chicks, but had a hen raise them. They did not have any problems with pastybutt. But then again I usually have hens raise chicks and they never have that problem. It sounds like you're doing everything you can. Do a search for splay legs here on BYC and you'll find a TON of info. So hints are pretty easy to make and will correct the problem. A post on the emergency forum would be helpful, too. How old are your chicks? Sorry I'm not more help. Good luck and keep us updated!

One diedbthis morning. It seemed to be doing better but never ate or drank much. The other 1 is doing so well I threw her in with some Ameracuna chicks that are 2 wks old. She is too funny. She stands on her tippy toes like she needs to be taller amongst giants. She watches the older chicks & mimics them. She cheeps A LOT and calms down when we cuddle her. I don't know an age but I would guess only a few days old. I was hesitant to put her in the brooder biut Princess Buttercup is a real champ.

Thank you but I lost the second chick shortly after my last post. I had never lost a chick, much less 2 in 24 hours. I was so upset my hubby said if I was going to get so distraught, I couldn't get any more chickens. So I put on a good front, at least. I would like to get some more Buttercups if anyone in the middle Georgia area is selling fertile eggs.

Back
Top Bottom