1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buttermilk Biscuits

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Feb 27, 2012.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Making things to go with smoked ribs and brisket, old fashioned comfort foods. After I get done typing this up I'm going to tackle making "KFC Coleslaw" for my wife. Enjoy

I've been making my own from scratch about 6 months, love them. I did up a batch of pork ribs and pork brisket ribs on Saturday and wanted some biscuits to go along with the slaw and baked beans. Just had one toasted up in the toaster oven with butter and blackberry jam. DOGGONE !!!

Mis en place

3 cups all purpose flour
    1 tbls white sugar
    1 tbls plus one teaspoon baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt

1 1/2 sticks of COLD butter cut in small cubes
    1 1/3 cup COLD buttermilk

1 beaten egg to brush on biscuits

Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 425 deg

In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients with a whisk to get them all mixed up and the flour "sifted" a little. Now add the butter and with your hands break the mixture up (or with a pie dough cutter or two forks) until you have pea sized clumps everywhere. Make a well in the middle of the mixture and add the cold buttermilk. Now mix in with your hands or a plastic spatula until you have a wet dough. Turn the dough onto a well floured work surface and knead about 15 seconds. Now shape that mass into a rectangle. Fold one third over toward the center, then the other third over on top. A letter fold. Turn and repeat. Flip and repeat one more time. Now roll out into a rectangle at LEAST 1/2 inch thick or more, Cut into squares with a sharp knife. Move each square onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and then plump up the squares by rounding the corners as you push the square in. Push down on the center of each square with two fingers in the center a little (this helps them rise more). Brush with beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown on top. Remove and let rest 10 minutes before serving. Doggone !!!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    :clap When can we get married, Mike?? :lol: