Buttermilk

Quote:
You could get the temps with a pan of water and an empty oven now instead?
ETA My wife has one of those "crazy" ovens that do everything. She can set it to do anything at any temp/time. Right now she's drying hot peppers at 110 degrees.
I can do anything with a computer, but I can't even turn that oven on or off.

Last edited:
Wow, I really love this site, Y'all are so friendly.. By asking a question, I now can make my own buttermilk and yogurt! BYC ROCKS!! Thanks again ~Michelle
Quote:

Go Chick, I think you might be talking about what is known as Greek Yogurt. I copied the following from some (?) web site and made this Word document. I deleted some of the information that was not needed for this post:

Greek Yogurt in Cooking and Sauce Making
Greek yogurt is a healthy cook’s friend and is found in most larger and specialty markets. It is made with a unique straining process removing the whey (liquid) making it thicker, more creamy and perfect for adding to a saucepan for making a quick and rich sauce. Greek yogurt is different than ordinary plain yogurt in that it can be used in cooking without it curdling up and separating.
This style of yogurt is not only great for the healthy kitchen, but is also good for diabetic households. Since the whey is strained from the yogurt itself, the result is a yogurt with less lactose with fewer carbohydrates than regular yogurts.
Tips When Shopping for and Cooking with Plain and Greek Yogurts
· Look at the labels and shop for brands with limited ingredients. Some yogurts contain added sugars, colors, artificial flavors and thickeners.
· Avoid heat treated yogurts as these have reduced healthy active cultures when eaten fresh.
· When using plain yogurt, the liquid that rises to the top at times is the whey. It can be drained off or stirred back into the yogurt.
· In salad dressing and dip recipes that call for regular mayonnaise, substitute half of the amount with nonfat plain yogurt without sacrificing flavor or texture.
· Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream or whole cream in sauce recipes. The recipe can be simmered without fear of it curdling.
There are many different brands for Greek yogurts. Check out the source list of popular brands of Greek yogurts in supermarkets and specialty health food shops. Choices include those with flavors, plain styles, and choices in different levels of fat (whole, reduced fat and fat free styles are available).
Sour cream and heavy cream can lend richness and flavor to many baked goods and quick breads like muffins, biscuits and some cookies. Those two ingredients also lend unintentional added fat to the finished product. Plain yogurt can also easily be substituted for buttermilk or cream when stirring the wet-dry ingredients together, giving the recipe the needed tartness that buttermilk brings and richness that whole cream brings.

How to Make Greek Yogurt
If you want to make Greek (strained) yogurt, there is another step to the process. Pour your yogurt into a muslin cloth, and suspend it over a bowl for two hours (I put the cloth in a colander over a bowl).

8. After two hours the colourless liquid whey will have strained into the bowl and the remaining yogurt will be thickened and creamier. You couldn't pour it now. You'll have to scrape it off the muslin cloth.

9. Congratulations, you've made Greek yogurt. It's deliciously thick and creamy, even when made with skimmed milk. It's more stable in cooking than normal yogurt (but did you know that if your yogurt separates when cooking, you can stir in a spoonful of cornflour and stabilise it?). I like it on its own with honey. It also makes wonderful raita.

10. If you leave it straining for longer than 2 hours it becomes thicker and thicker and eventually will have a consistency like cream cheese. Stir in garlic and herbs if you like, and use it like Philadelphia. Delicious.

Last edited:
Boo-Boo's Mama :

Does the buttermilk do the same thing as the yogurt does for the chickens?

I've been using the crockpot method to do the yogurt but this would be even simpler.

Both buttermilk and yogurg have lactic acid and different kinds of good bacteria cultures. I've no idea of which is the better.​

When I'm baking and do not have buttermilk, I stir vinegar into milk, wait a lil bit and I have buttermilk.

I've been adding yogurt to the alfalfa pellets to soften them. Today I did not have any so I used water and blackeyed peas. Well, the girls let me know they didn't care for the alfalfa without yogurt...they picked around in the container to see what surprise I had included today...they eventually ate all of it but took longer than usual when the mix is soupy. Silly girls!
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom