Bread shops

M

Member 671655

I got 500 loaves of seeded buttermilk breads etc from a bread shop for 26.00 for my birds . Just fyi it’s good filler if your birds need extra carbs to keep warm

I got 500 loaves of seeded buttermilk breads etc from a bread shop for 26.00 for my birds . Just fyi it’s good filler if your birds need extra carbs to keep warm
It really isn't. It's better feed for fattening up beef before slaughter.

Just make sure the birds go to roost with their crops full of a complete balanced feed and they will stay plenty warm through thermogenesis and their feathers to trap the heat.

Bread isn't good filler and carbs don't keep birds warm. That's a two-in-one wives' tale combo right there. Bread and other carbs are like the #1 table scrap that I will not feed to my chickens (produce and meat are okay in moderation). Excess carbs just turn to fat on the chicken's body, and fat can kill chickens real quick (look up fatty liver syndrome).

Last edited:
I know you think you were doing good for them, but it causes more harm than good. If they are getting good layer/all flock feed, they will get what they need.

If you feed wild birds, you most likely have squirrels. Now there's a hoot. We've also thrown our extra bread/kitchen scraps out in the woods a great distance from the coop for whatever wild animal may like it. We compost most stuff though.

I know you think you were doing good for them, but it causes more harm than good. If they are getting good layer/all flock feed, they will get what they need.

If you feed wild birds, you most likely have squirrels. Now there's a hoot. We've also thrown our extra bread/kitchen scraps out in the woods a great distance from the coop for whatever wild animal may like it. We compost most stuff though.
My birds catch and eat squirrels for breakfast as well as anything like mice that find their way into our yard. I did not say that was all my chickens and ducks eat. It’s a snack. But to each their own. Be well

Why is my mom paying for a balanced scientific diet for the birds for him to ruin it with free bread?

Don't know if it helps, but my theory is some people are so bargain obsessed that anything that seems like a deal just short circuits their process.
When exposed to chickens, the temptation is strong to treat them like disposal units.

If I had a bunch of bread, I'd make breadcrumbs or croutons. Also, my mom has been known to freeze bread, which I've told her many times is very odd, especially when digging through the freezer with slippery rounded bags of bread flinging themselves at you. But she swears it works if you wrap it in foil and bake (350 'ish). We eat different types, so I haven't tried her freezer bread.

Don't know if it helps, but my theory is some people are so bargain obsessed that anything that seems like a deal just short circuits their process.
When exposed to chickens, the temptation is strong to treat them like disposal units.

If I had a bunch of bread, I'd make breadcrumbs or croutons. Also, my mom has been known to freeze bread, which I've told her many times is very odd, especially when digging through the freezer with slippery rounded bags of bread flinging themselves at you. But she swears it works if you wrap it in foil and bake (350 'ish). We eat different types, so I haven't tried her freezer bread.
We eat fresh baked bread so the deal I got will only be fed to animals or friends /family who want it

Actually it's a great way to store any bread that will get toasted/baked. I freeze everything from naan/pita, sliced sandwich bread, burger buns, hoagie rolls. I freeze my breadcrumbs and pre-cubed bread for stuffing/pudding as well. Take it out and toss it (frozen) in a toaster or oven and it's really not different than fresh.

(I know it's not relevant to orig post but people are way too fast to throw away food!)

Back
Top Bottom