Button Pics

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
I'm assuming that this one is slate, because he's looking different from my cinnamon at that age, and BQH said he had to be either slate or cinnamon.
Button12-21-09.jpg

Here's what I think is an ivory, with the silkie chickie
Silkienbutton2-21-09.jpg

Cochin and Silkie chicks, I know, they're not buttons! Lol.
Chickies2-21-09.jpg

I'll have to get more pics of the rest of the 8, but they're SUCH a total pain in the butt to get pictures of, especially considering that the stupid cat won't stop following me everywhere and tripping me when I have chickies in my hands. Seriously, she has access to the brooders all day long, but, god forbid I touch HER chickies.

That top one is a regular Cinnamon. It looks different than your other one as I believe your other one is a Cinnamon Red Breasted right? Slate is completely dark silver. The other one could be Ivory but looks more like a another Silver variety to me. Ivories look almost white at that age and are hard to tell without putting it next to a white. Love the chicken chicks!! Silkies are my favorite breed besides Faverolles.

Quote:
Totally OT here, but have you ever used a silkie to hatch buttons? Or any other quail for that matter? I was thinking of using my son's hens for hatching jumbos, since they aren't as tiny as buttons, but didn't know if I should. My hope is to have some broody jumbos, thinking if they are hen-hatched, maybe they will set eggs. I know the one jumbo I have laying right now always lays in the same spot. I wonder if she would go broody? Might have to try that!
big_smile.png

I do not have any chickens myself right now but know of someone who does use her Silkie hen to hatch Buttons. You have to keep an eye out though for when they hatch so you can grab them from her right away because of their size. They could sneak out most pens easily and get lost with their small size. Plus the hen could hurt them unintentionally. I bet the larger quail would work out great!

I have used Ringneck Doves to hatch them. The only problem is they must know how to count to 14 as they get off them then. That is their incubation timing. I have had to throw them in the incubator to finish them and did have them hatch. What I would do different next time is to incubate them for two days before I have her finish the incubating. You would have to get them away from her right away too as they would have no idea how to care for a chick that runs around right away, LOL!!

Ivories do look white. I sat there for weeks going "are those white?... but they don't quite look like everyone's pics of pure whites... they don't look silver either though... what the heck are they?"
lol.png
Finally as they feathered they started to get somewhat mottled looking instead of the even silver and slate color or the solid white. If you look at the cinnamons they are a mix of various colored feathers so they are somewhat mottled. Lighten that up a lot and you get an ivory. Now that they are mature my ivories also have a few solid white wing feathers like my cinnamons.

Ok, so regular cinnamon is a wild type cinnamon? Alright.
big_smile.png
I think I might have three wild type cinnamons and the rest slates then. BQH, what would I do without you? Lol.
The ivory girl I have was almost identical to my whites, I had to look at the flesh on her face to tell (beak and around the eyes) between her and the whites when they were in the uglies stage.
My red breasted cinnamon is just barely starting to get his blue feathers in now.
big_smile.png
I'll have to get snap shots of him.

Back
Top Bottom