Button Quail Cage

Quote:
really? i dont think they are smelly at all i live in teh basement and i have 8 cages of buttons and you cant smell mine at all even standing with your nose to a cage i was pleasently suprised but then again my birds cages are a bit on the large size....

lol I had my buttons outside in a very larg chick brooder an after 2 weeks of them being in there, they scratched an rolled all of the bedding out of the brooder an had is all smelly! I cant wait for my Serama chicks to get out into the grow out pen so the Buttons can go back into the brooder..

Quote:
You don't have to take them out to clean a tank. Put a towel over the top of the tank and use a cat litter scoop or small dust pan to scoop the stuff out. I have 1 pair in a 10 gallon fish tank and that's how I clean theirs.

Quote:
really? i dont think they are smelly at all i live in teh basement and i have 8 cages of buttons and you cant smell mine at all even standing with your nose to a cage i was pleasently suprised but then again my birds cages are a bit on the large size....

They don't smell unless they get really, really, dirty.

Quote:
You don't have to take them out to clean a tank. Put a towel over the top of the tank and use a cat litter scoop or small dust pan to scoop the stuff out. I have 1 pair in a 10 gallon fish tank and that's how I clean theirs.

I was saying that is how I clean mine, its easier for me to do that since my birds are outside until winter so I dont have to go chasing another bird down the road like an idiot with a butterfly net.

Quote:

really? mine smell by the end of the week, I clean my cages once a week. just my observation. my olfactory senses went up after I got pregnant with my daughter so it might just be me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:

really? mine smell by the end of the week, I clean my cages once a week. just my observation. my olfactory senses went up after I got pregnant with my daughter so it might just be me.

If yours are outside they are probably getting some wetness, bugs, or just plain heat to 'cook' their bedding faster than birds kept indoors
smile.png

Quote:

If yours are outside they are probably getting some wetness, bugs, or just plain heat to 'cook' their bedding faster than birds kept indoors
smile.png

I have noticed crickets in the brooder now with the Seramas which when I had my reptiles, having feeder crickets I know they stink to high heck!

It's certainly recomended to keep them in pairs, but I keep a couple trios with sucsess. I've had problems with one trio though, one hen constantly keeping the other under submission. I'm new to button quail.

Pairs or same-sexed groups work well; having more than 1 female with 1 or more males is asking for trouble. They WILL bond in pairs and the pairs will, quite often, turn aggressive on the 'outsider'.

I used to keep mine in colonies, and while I didn't have any killed, they sure did a lot of feather-pecking.

Back
Top Bottom