Button Quail Egglaying

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

They do well in pairs, trios and small colonies. I had 6 hens to 2 males in one cage, and they did just fine. They do well in pairs, but I don't think they naturally pair up.

OIC, so now I REALLY have too many males!
lau.gif

according to the breeders on Button Quails USA, wild button quails (Chinese Painted Quails) in the wild do pair up (in just pairs). But in a domestic environment anytings possible hehe
idunno.gif

Quote:
I thought I had heard that before, but if there is only one male and 3 females or whatever, I don't think those sweet little guys would let the girls go wanting...
wink.png

Quote:
I thought I had heard that before, but if there is only one male and 3 females or whatever, I don't think those sweet little guys would let the girls go wanting...
wink.png

Uh, no.
wink.png

Hmmm... I guess in the wild (I never really think of BQs as "wild"... LOL! they would pair up, huh?
smile.png

While mine get along in colonies they are least stressed in groups of no more than 4. They act a bit more nuts and set each other off when in larger groups. For that reason I divide out the ones I want to keep into groups of 3 or 4. Usually 1 male to 2 or 3 females. They do great in pairs and my suggestion to anyone buying chicks from me is to get pairs unless they are getting a color I can sex easily and I know those individual birds haven't shown excess aggression. You can keep them in colonies if you set the pens up right and keep an eye on things like feeders but you'll have the least issues and wories if you keep them in pairs.

I have 4 button quails. They all hatched together on 11/18/14. I do not know the sex of them. They all clean each others feathers constantly. I have yet to see them fights. When do they come of age and start being territorial over mates etc.? This is my first time raising button quails.

interesting this was brought up! I've been pondering adding a pair of button quail to one of my indoor aviaries. I've been told from a few people they like to have them because the scrounge the bottom and clean up all spilled seed, minimizing waist. However I was wondering a few things:

1. they are so very tiny, do humans consume their eggs or use their eggs for anything?
2. how can I find a responsible breeder, hopefully in western Washington as to avoid shipping? (and what should I look for as far as buy healthy birds)?

I meant to ask, are you keeping them separated by sex or just keeping them alone? Do they do well alone? I would think that would be hard on them.
No button quails do not do well alone they will actually get so depressed that they will stop eating and drinking until they die they are flock animals and should be put with at least one other button quail. There are also monogamous keeping them in mated pairs or small colonies is best

interesting this was brought up! I've been pondering adding a pair of button quail to one of my indoor aviaries. I've been told from a few people they like to have them because the scrounge the bottom and clean up all spilled seed, minimizing waist. However I was wondering a few things:

1. they are so very tiny, do humans consume their eggs or use their eggs for anything?
2. how can I find a responsible breeder, hopefully in western Washington as to avoid shipping? (and what should I look for as far as buy healthy birds)?
Yes you can eat button quail eggs they're absolutely delicious but it'll take a fair few 40 of them to make an omelet so I don't know if it's really worth that. I breed button quail and an npip certified although I am in Florida so there wouldn't really be any way you could avoid shipping. I just cleaned the pens so I should have more eggs and two to three weeks if you need any message me back

Back
Top Bottom