Button Quail Egglaying

AimsChickies

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
SW Florida
I was thinking about separating all of my Male/Female button quail. My question is, do the female button quail lay eggs daily if they are alone, like a chicken?

i was going to separate them by sex. They do not do very well alone, i had one a little while back that was injured, I had to keep that one alone.

I had a pen of 5 gals for a long time and I got 5 eggs a day! Yes they will lay with no male! You do have to be careful of males together they fight

Yes, they will lay without a male. They just won't be fertile.
smile.png

The males tend to fight if there are more of them than females. All males together, especially if they've been raised together, will do all right in their own pen, as will the females. But get too many males in a colony and they will fight during breeding season, and it's not pretty.
sickbyc.gif

One male per 3-5 hens is prefered, for keeping fertility. They are social, so try to keep them in pairs at a minimum.
smile.png

I haven't had males fight aside from 1 mentally disturbed bird and he actually only beat up the females in the pen. I had 3 males and 4 females together for quite awhile and all laying eggs happily. I only seperated them because I wanted to keep the colors seperate. Now I have tons of their offspring crammed into every spare aquarium I had laying around. I had 2 really good hatches when I was expecting much fewer.
tongue.png
The only time I have problems is when a feeder quits working or they get too bored then they'll start pulling each others feathers. The males are more likely to start picking but they do it to the females just as often as to other males. So long as I make sure to check the feeders and give them some treats or toys every few days they get along fine. They are attacking a suet cake right now. A few days ago they had blueberries and rice. My button pens also have all sorts of obstacles made of wood, bricks, and mesh panels.

SANY1086.jpg

SANY1330.jpg

Back
Top Bottom