Button quail,how are they?

pringle

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Pepperell,MA
Well I really dont have enough money for making pens for coturnix quail....yet.So Im really researching button quail now.There tiny,cute,awesom,you cant eat them but oh well
smile.png
.I already have the layout of there cages.And I know what hatcherie im geting them from,Bracken Ridge Ranch.Im getting a dozen eggs from them in the spring and hope to get a few hatched out.But the real question is is can you make a decent profit out of them?Can you atleast pay for there feed by selling there eggs or adults.Ide love to sell them live at farmers market but make a sheet on how to take care of them.But I really dont know if its alegal and the last thing I want to do is black marketing button quail
roll.png

Last edited:
It should be very easy to make enough to at least feed them. They are so tiny, they don't eat much. But buttons require a lot more care than coturnix do, and need just as much space. My coturnix were bringing in enough this past summer to feed themselves and all the other birds here (with a little left over for me
big_smile.png
), I would seriously recommend coturnix.
I make enough off of 1 sale of button eggs to feed mine for probably a year. Their feed is only about $15 for 50#, and that would last them forever!! I'd probably have to throw most of it away, if I didn't have other birds that would eat it.

You do know that buttons have to stay indoors if it's cold, right? I don't know, for ease of care, coturnix are a much better choice, plus they'd probably sell better. Buttons are cute, but they aren't in demand that much. As you stated, you can't eat them, so they are mainly just pets. Coturnix can be used for any number of things, they are just a more well-rounded choice.
smile.png
That's my thoughts, I love my buttons, but if I were really wanting to make money, I'd keep coturnix only.

I agree with Shelley coturnix are VERY profitable. I hatched some eggs out that I bought for 18 cents each, and sold each bird for $3.00. They totally paid for themselves and more!!

Yes I do understand they cant stand the cold well.And I do have a nice room in the basement that would work well for them(no cats can get in it).And I cant find any money to begin with to pay for there houses.Im mainly saving most of for going to washingtom D.C with the rest of my friends in my grade in school in the spring.My dad and mom are gonna pay for it too but that means im not getting any christmas presents.And my brother is buying me the incubator I need to hatch eggs out in the first place.Im doing yard work for my nieghbors to help pay for the trip so im really tight!I think button quail would do awesom the farmers market I go to.Many people have some space but not a whole bunch and quail there size would be cool also they look really cute.I guess I could get a dozen coturnix quail eggs from cumberland game bird farms to.I do have a rabbit hutch that would do ok for a dozen coturnix quail....And I would still have some eggs to eat from them too.

Coturnix in fact take less space as they can be housed in groups while buttons really should be in pairs. I make way more then enough money from my buttons to feed them and everything eles. I just started with coturnix so I have not been selling them as of yet.

And I guess im not gonna raise buttons just fo profit.I find that there kinda like the family of finches I had but died of disease.

Why are you ordering quail eggs from hatcheries? They are most likely cheaper from any place else, even on here
tongue.png

Coturnix and buttons need the same amount of space. If you have room for buttons, you have room for coturnix. Buttons also shouldn't be kept on wire, that makes a difference in how you can house them.
I'm not trying to talk you out of buttons, but coturnix are much better for profit. I was making about $40 a week off egg sales this past summer, and that was with only 25 or so hens.
smile.png
Their feed costs about $15 for 50#, and would last them 3 weeks. I had enough $$ to buy theirs and feed for my over 100 more birds.

OMG I just forgot somthing!Since I got A's and B's on my report card from school my dad said he will pay and help me make a 4by3ft coopwith a3by4 ft wired run attached!Ok heres what im gonna do,get 50 coturnix quail eggs.Hopefully 25 will hatch seperate boy from females,put females in new coop and have em laying.Butcher most of the boys save 3 of the biggest ones.Put in seperate rabbit cages each(forgot about them there laying somewere in the basement).Put 3 females each with em have pleanty of fertilized eggs.Htach them out butcher all males save the females and use them for a eggs production.When all thats going strong ill buy a dozen button quail eggs and raise them and put them in the cages I desighned.Ahhhh hopefully all this will work out then ill be able to pay for buttons with the money im gonna make on the coturnix quail.

So you're going to use them for eating eggs then? You can keep up to 5 females per male and still have good fertility
smile.png

I don't know how well eating eggs would sell. I sold all mine as hatching eggs
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom