Button quail mistaken identity

taprock

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 1, 2010
Northern L.P. Michigan
The story begins back last winter. We had a pair of buttons. Our female died. We waited to get another female thinking he (Sprout) was older and might not survive the loss of a mate, although this is he second with us. So about a month later we bought a female for him. They took a long time getting friendly and seemed to fight a bit but only to the extent of lost feathers. They never bonded and she never laid any eggs. Fast forward to this past fall. She molted and in came these nice red feathers and she it seems was really a he. It explained their scuffles and no eggs.

My question is : they have been getting along ok. Will I ruin it if I get them two females to add to the pen? Or should I just leave them as they are. I miss all the calls that they used to make impressing the girls.

The story begins back last winter. We had a pair of buttons. Our female died. We waited to get another female thinking he (Sprout) was older and might not survive the loss of a mate, although this is he second with us. So about a month later we bought a female for him. They took a long time getting friendly and seemed to fight a bit but only to the extent of lost feathers. They never bonded and she never laid any eggs. Fast forward to this past fall. She molted and in came these nice red feathers and she it seems was really a he. It explained their scuffles and no eggs.

My question is : they have been getting along ok. Will I ruin it if I get them two females to add to the pen? Or should I just leave them as they are. I miss all the calls that they used to make impressing the girls.

The stronger of the males will want both hens. Trading a male for a hen would be better, or, setting up two pens. Leaving as is may be the best option.

Back
Top Bottom