1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Button Quail Questions!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by PoultryQueen29, Dec 31, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I absolutely love button quail and I really want one! I dont care if I only get one I just love them! I was wondering if someone who has button quail can tell me how I need to house, feed, and care for a pair or if I can just get one and have it live happily that would be good. Also, is it better to get a pair than 2 females? I dont want fighting so I was thinking that a pair would be better (if they aren't like us humans). If they are low-matinence enough I might be able to convince the one person in my house that is very crabby with getting more pets [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Button quail are precious little birds (my avatar is the blue breasted cbbq). They do well in a parakeet cage with the wire removed. For adults I mix Gamebird starter with finch seeds and oystershell. They do well in pairs and get rather lonely if singletons. They are fairly low maintenance. I have a silver pair if you are interested.

3. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Thanks for the info [​IMG] I'm still getting all of my research done on this and figuring out how I can do this for the lowest cost. Do they get sick frequently?

I do have a 29 gallon saltwater aquarium with one lonely clownfish in it. I was going to give the clownfish back and sell the stuff for the aquarium since I only have one fish in it and it's not really worth it. Could I clean up the tank and put them in there?

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I would recommend a parakeet cage type housing with the wire sides and bottom wire removed. The issue with tanks is that the reflection causes some birds to get aggressive and the light reflects off the glass.

5. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I have found mine to be much calmer in a cage compared to a tank too.

6. WisconsinAnimalHouse

WisconsinAnimalHouse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2011
    I have mine in a wire cage, but the shavings go EVERYWHERE! Would love to find a cleaner solution myself.

7. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok how big would the cage have to be for a pair and how many eggs do you get from them a week?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  8. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Oh and what do you mean by a cage with the wire removed? Do you mean the wire on the bottom?

9. WisconsinAnimalHouse

WisconsinAnimalHouse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2011
    Yes, wire on there feet isn't good for them, it will hurt their feet. I would think one pair doesn't need much room, my cage is 2x2. My quail lay an egg a day, it's crazy. I end up eating them or feeding them to the dogs.

10. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Ok cool [​IMG] The less space they need the better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by