Button Quail Questions!

PoultryQueen29

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
North Carolina
I absolutely love button quail and I really want one! I dont care if I only get one I just love them! I was wondering if someone who has button quail can tell me how I need to house, feed, and care for a pair or if I can just get one and have it live happily that would be good. Also, is it better to get a pair than 2 females? I dont want fighting so I was thinking that a pair would be better (if they aren't like us humans). If they are low-matinence enough I might be able to convince the one person in my house that is very crabby with getting more pets
wink.png

Last edited:
Button quail are precious little birds (my avatar is the blue breasted cbbq). They do well in a parakeet cage with the wire removed. For adults I mix Gamebird starter with finch seeds and oystershell. They do well in pairs and get rather lonely if singletons. They are fairly low maintenance. I have a silver pair if you are interested.

Quote:
Thanks for the info
smile.png
I'm still getting all of my research done on this and figuring out how I can do this for the lowest cost. Do they get sick frequently?

I do have a 29 gallon saltwater aquarium with one lonely clownfish in it. I was going to give the clownfish back and sell the stuff for the aquarium since I only have one fish in it and it's not really worth it. Could I clean up the tank and put them in there?

I would recommend a parakeet cage type housing with the wire sides and bottom wire removed. The issue with tanks is that the reflection causes some birds to get aggressive and the light reflects off the glass.

Yes, wire on there feet isn't good for them, it will hurt their feet. I would think one pair doesn't need much room, my cage is 2x2. My quail lay an egg a day, it's crazy. I end up eating them or feeding them to the dogs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom