1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Button Quail Setup

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CallsignSix, Nov 15, 2014.

1. CallsignSix

CallsignSix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2014
    [​IMG]

I'm new to the button quail scene and was hoping to get some input/advice. Here is a pic of my setup. We have 1 male and 3 females. The substrate is gardening topsoil. Is this setup going to lead to these quail laying and brooding? Thanks in advance!

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Nice set up but I would keep them in single pairs if you want to hatch or have a broody hen. more then one and they will fight for the male or even the nest of eggs. now I am not saying that they can not live in peace like this but just be forewarned . Also the topsoil will be harder to maintain then wood chips but should help keep down the smell a bit. they will dust bathe in the soil so be prepared for a mess when this happens. are they outside? if so I hope you live in a nice warm place. good luck.

3. CallsignSix

Nov 15, 2014
    Thanks for the response GrandmaBird. They are inside the house for now. So far so good.

4. SterlingRanch

SterlingRanch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    Allen, Tx
    We are using walnut shell litter in ours. We have a very similar setup to yours. I posted a thread with a short video in this forum if you want to see ours.

5. CallsignSix

Nov 15, 2014

Nice setup. Looks cozy. How often do you find you have to change the litter?

6. SterlingRanch

SterlingRanch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    Allen, Tx
    They've been in there three days and there is already lots of little turd balls laying around. I'm trying to locate a strainer that will sift through that walnut shell. Cat litter scoop is too big and I also tried a kitchen mesh strainer (shhh...what happens on BYC stays on BYC) and it was too fine. Still looking...

7. CallsignSix

Nov 15, 2014

Haha. I hear you. I find that the topsoil does a pretty decent job of composting it a little bit, but it's still a constant battle.

8. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    The success I found in having a 1 male to 2 females ratio was plenty of places for them to hide out and get away from each other if necessary. I like your set up :)

9. CallsignSix

Nov 15, 2014

Thanks Spotsplus. My original plan was just for a single male and female, but the guy I bought them from brought a few extra for me to look at so I'd have a choice. When I saw the poor shape they were in I just decided to take them all. The coop is 4'x18" so I'm hoping there's enough room for all of them. So far so good, but we'll see if they feel comfortable enough to start laying. They haven't yet.

10. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    If they were suffering from loss of feathers it is probably due to having too many males to hens or even too many birds without enough space or hiding spots. Glad you saved them.
    I made the mistake of buying a female from a caged bird breeder(finches, canaries and parrots), so the buttons were used as floor cleanup and she was in such bad shape that she died from fright and cold, she was completely bald on her back, before 24 hours had gone by. I felt so bad that I promised never to keep more then a single pair in an enclosure again. Good luck with yours.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by