Button quail sitting next to eggs or partially on eggs, but not ON eggs?

romybuttonquail

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2023
My button quail here laid 5 eggs. Three inside (the ones shes sittinng next to) and 2 outside which she ignores. This is her second clutch, i removed her first 9. Not sure if shes jsut new to incubation, but she barely sits on them. She doesnt usually sleep in there, she sleeps with the male button. But she doesnt sit on the eggs, she sits NEXT to them?? Sometimes she sits on it but not all the way. shes only sitting on 3 lol. Also male sometimes chases her from nest. Im thinking to remove him but im not even sure if she wants to brood
AC4FE56E-A619-45E3-8D12-781D53BB3D19.jpeg
25719D9F-552B-4869-9192-2F0A3F1BEB7D.jpeg

My button quail here laid 5 eggs. Three inside (the ones shes sittinng next to) and 2 outside which she ignores. This is her second clutch, i removed her first 9. Not sure if shes jsut new to incubation, but she barely sits on them. She doesnt usually sleep in there, she sleeps with the male button. But she doesnt sit on the eggs, she sits NEXT to them?? Sometimes she sits on it but not all the way. shes only sitting on 3 lol. Also male sometimes chases her from nest. Im thinking to remove him but im not even sure if she wants to brood
View attachment 3558334View attachment 3558335
Well this is confusing, I'd say you should do one of two things.

A, separate the male and make sure the female is safe and in a warm temp so the eggs don't get cold at anytime when she's not on the eggs.

B, remove all her eggs and incubate them, if she still wants to brood give her fake eggs and give her chicks when they hatch.

Well this is confusing, I'd say you should do one of two things.

A, separate the male and make sure the female is safe and in a warm temp so the eggs don't get cold at anytime when she's not on the eggs.

B, remove all her eggs and incubate them, if she still wants to brood give her fake eggs and give her chicks when they hatch.
i cant even find her eggs anymore haha she buried them in the back of the nesting box

Wow, that's wierd. I think she did one of two things. Either she was hiding them for protection and warmth, or she doesn't care about them. I hope it's the first one.
she's lost interest in the eggs now and has gone back to cuddling with the male hahaha. i tried tk separate the male, but the moment i opened the cage she hopped out 😂

Back
Top Bottom