Button quail with leg disorder

Plain_View_Farm

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Central Virginia
We're on our second hatch of Button Quail and in each one we have 1 that has a leg disorder of some sort. They will drag one leg behind them. One is a little over 2 weeks old and now that it is a bit bigger it looks to me like it's hip is dislocated. At first I tended to it as it seemed to me to have spraddle leg. (try taping a horse flies legs together) But then it just laid on it's belly and both legs drug behind it. Yesterday I removed the tape and it can hop around fine and does not seem in any pain or distress.

I'm wondering what can cause this to happen at hatch? I would have thought it a fluke if only one, but 1 in each hatch now.

Thanks,
David

Were not positive but we did have a couple that didn't hatch on their expected date. They were a few days later than the on time ones. Perhaps these were stragglers of both hatches.

Thanks Crystal,
David

I had this problem with a chick & I was told it might be genetic. I do not know for myself but that is what I was told.

I just had this happen to a chick too...he came out a day and a half after his sibling and his leg seemed to be dislocated or something. He didn't end up making it, I even tried hand feeding him, but I think there was just too much stress.
sad.png
poor little guy.

The youngest of the two didn't make it either.
sad.png

The older one is still getting around like it's siblings but hopping and flying instead of running normally. I can't see putting it down if it isn't suffering and seeming to get along ok.

Quote:
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! I CANT BREATHE!!! WOO HOOO. GOD ITS HARD TO TYPE WITH TEARS IN YOUR EYES!!!!

DAVID I AM SORRY FOR YOUR MISFORTUNE IN THIS VENTURE, BUT THANK YOU FOR THE BEST LAUGH I'VE HAD IN OVER A MONTH--- I REALLY NEEDED IT!

Back
Top Bottom