1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Button Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Nupine, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Does anyone have button quail? I think they are sooooo cool. I don't have any, but I want some. What kind of housing do they need? How is laying? Can you eat the eggs? Thanks!
    Ashlyn

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have some that I am looking to place from my last hatch.

Im not sure if you can eat the eggs--I never have, they are VERY small. They eat chick crumble and seed and stuff--just like the chickens.

You can house them in an aquarium. They are ground birds so they dont fly. Or a rabbit cage would work, one that is made of hardware cloth.

3. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

do they eat fruit?bugs?worms? I have one single male.and will be keeping him in a 10 gallon aquarium....what is on bottom of your's? straw?hay?mulch work? thanks for any information

4. Eryn

Eryn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I'd like to know how they do in an aquarium as well! i was thinking about getting a pair or trio! Could I keep them in a 10 gallon? Or would I need something bigger? Anyone out there keeping them this way please give me a Okiechick some advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by