Button quail

Yes they are so cute and yes they do qualify to be in this section! I don't keep Buttons, but they are so adorable.

Same thing happened to me! I actually got a pair that I am now trying to rehome because my male keeps biting me. If you lived in NC, they would be in your hands right now. Not trying to push you away from them but they are not friendly.

I have had button quails for a few years now. They can make great pets if you work with them.

They are naturally VERY skittish and to make good pets, you'll need to work them every single day until they are friendly (unless they are babies - two weeks old or less - it may take a while). Many of them also have a "bop factor"...where they jump straight up when spooked and will hit their head on the top of their enclosure...often injuring themselves. You need to make sure your enclosure is padded on the roof (but still keeping good ventilation), until you're sure they won't bop their heads. You also need to make sure you don't keep two males together, as they will often fight and one will probably eventually kill the other (in my own experience, sadly). Just because they don't have a bib, doesn't mean they aren't male...watch their behavior carefully when you first get them and as they grow (they aren't aggressive when they are young).

Other than that, they are very easy to care for and make great indoor pets! :) If you want any other tips, PM me and I'm happy to help.

-Crystal

I used to have around 30 buttons but sold all but a trio of them last year. I still have my trio of Buttons, Buddy (male), Freida, and Angela. Buddy is a love bug and will come jump in my hand, play with me and he just loves attention. Freida is also very sweet, but Angela does not want to be touched or handled and always stays at the very back of the cage. I have 8 button eggs in the 'bator from my trio. Looking forward to bumble bees on April 8th!!

~ Aspen

How hard is to incubate and brood Button Quail? My wife had been told that they are very difficult to get to eat when newly hatched.

Max

Max
That’s the neat thing about your little birds; you can’t stop them from eating. My first batch was surprised how something so small could get around and eats and drink so much!

Button quail usually eat and drink within an hour of first being born. If they don't then they usually wont make it and its a sign that something was wrong with them. We grind the food for them in a coffee grinder until they are about two to three weeks old. For water, we just use a small chick waterers with marbles or rocks around the bottom so they can't drown. This encourages them to peck but still gives them plenty of water. Hope this helps some....been raising buttons for a couple years and we love these little birds!!

Back
Top Bottom