Buttonquail chicks keep dying?!

Nov 15, 2017
Virginia
Hello all,

My hens have naturally hatched dozens of chicks over the passed few years, and I lose about 75% of them. I had 4 hatch 2 days ago. I was able to catch one yesterday before he passed. I held him until he died.

Then today, another. I though he was already gone but when I picked him up, he squirmed. I took a video of him and will include a link in hopes someone can tell me why they all die like this.

This takes hours. They are suffering. The babies are limp when I pick them up, I thought their necks had been broken from being stepped on by the adults, but they move their heads a little bit.

Why are these babies dying? What is happening?

I'm guessing the same as above, it's either bad genes or the chicks are cold. Buttons are notoriously bad parents. Some people have success, most don't. Have you tried incubating the eggs instead of letting the parents try to raise them? If the issue is genetics, the chicks would die the same way. If it's bad parenting, your chicks should be ok with the correct brooder set up.

If you just have them out in room temperature, they'll die for sure. That why they're lethargic. You can't trust a button quails to correctly incubate eggs or brood chicks either. Get an incubator w/ egg turner and set up a small brooder that will stay at a constant 100 on one side.

I've hatched about 40 button quail chicks from an incubator so far and none of them have died in my brooder.

If you just have them out in room temperature, they'll die for sure. That why they're lethargic. You can't trust a button quails to correctly incubate eggs or brood chicks either. Get an incubator w/ egg turner and set up a small brooder that will stay at a constant 100 on one side.

I've hatched about 40 button quail chicks from an incubator so far and none of them have died in my brooder.

I do agree with you, however, some quails can successfully raise chicks; that's how I raise mine. I actually find mine to do a better job than me. But yes, it is hard. Some quails just don't brood.

Im a complete noob on this but after days of research and that vid it looks like its too cold but what do i know o.o

Back
Top Bottom