Nov 15, 2017
Virginia
Hi everyone,

I just so happened to be walking by one of my cages that had a basic brown female buttonquail (and her mate) in it, when I noticed the female flopping around belly up all over the cage. The male wasn’t doing anything. After a few seconds, she landed on her stomach, with her head tilted back and moving side to side with her mouth open. I picked her up, she didn’t try to get away, I held her for a moment. Her head straightened back to normal, her heartbeat slowed down, and she kept closing her eyes, but eventually she closed her mouth. Her eyes widened, and she was trying to get away from me, so I put her back in the cage. She seems to be fine now.

I was near the cage seconds before this happened, she did not hit her head on the top of the cage. I don’t know what happened.

Can anyone tell me what’s caused this? Is it normal? I’ve always heard her sneeze at least a few times a week which I thought was weird, but she’s a few months old so I guess I thought she was fine. What should I do?

Hi everyone,

I just so happened to be walking by one of my cages that had a basic brown female buttonquail (and her mate) in it, when I noticed the female flopping around belly up all over the cage. The male wasn’t doing anything. After a few seconds, she landed on her stomach, with her head tilted back and moving side to side with her mouth open. I picked her up, she didn’t try to get away, I held her for a moment. Her head straightened back to normal, her heartbeat slowed down, and she kept closing her eyes, but eventually she closed her mouth. Her eyes widened, and she was trying to get away from me, so I put her back in the cage. She seems to be fine now.

I was near the cage seconds before this happened, she did not hit her head on the top of the cage. I don’t know what happened.

Can anyone tell me what’s caused this? Is it normal? I’ve always heard her sneeze at least a few times a week which I thought was weird, but she’s a few months old so I guess I thought she was fine. What should I do?
I’ll be honest, I’ve never heard of anything like this before, except in chicks with nervous system issues... was there something in her throat maybe? What do you feed them? It is possible she was having a seizure... as far as I know it can happen with any animal.

I’ll be honest, I’ve never heard of anything like this before, except in chicks with nervous system issues... was there something in her throat maybe? What do you feed them? It is possible she was having a seizure... as far as I know it can happen with any animal.

I know, I’ve never seen this before! It was awful. She’s been fine ever since though.

They get fed crumbles and cracked corn with another plate of some grass, fruits, veggies, lettuce, seeds, etc. they are spoiled little porkers :D

I know, I’ve never seen this before! It was awful. She’s been fine ever since though.

They get fed crumbles and cracked corn with another plate of some grass, fruits, veggies, lettuce, seeds, etc. they are spoiled little porkers :D
I think you should stop all of the extras/treats and stick to only a complete balanced feed.

Feeding so many treats takes away from a balance diet which can cause issues such as you saw.

I think you should stop all of the extras/treats and stick to only a complete balanced feed.

Feeding so many treats takes away from a balance diet which can cause issues such as you saw.
x2, I would also add that I would not give them corn, ever! It is not good for them, because it is so high in calories, but lacks nutritional value. Do you feed them chick grit?

x2, I would also add that I would not give them corn, ever! It is not good for them, because it is so high in calories, but lacks nutritional value. Do you feed them chick grit?
I feed them mostly a layer feed and cracked corn with purple corn. The last that I got them from told me this is what she feeds them. The plate of treats is very small. I also give them a container filled with play sand for them to take dirt baths and they eat it too

Also she’s laying super light colored eggs now. I’ve included a photo

Attachments

• 3154C8D6-CF14-4147-B5A2-7F78FA75C142.jpeg
    3154C8D6-CF14-4147-B5A2-7F78FA75C142.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 10
I feed them mostly a layer feed and cracked corn with purple corn. The last that I got them from told me this is what she feeds them. The plate of treats is very small. I also give them a container filled with play sand for them to take dirt baths and they eat it too
I would stop all the corn and only feed the layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom