Buttons, 9 weeks and nothing?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bettacreek, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, I seem to be an utter failure with buttons. I KNOW that I have one male/female pair, housed together. The other pair, I'm unsure of genders. They're officially 9 weeks old today, and I have yet to have anybody crowing, no eggs, no mating, nothing. After the disaster with the baby buttons, I was disheartened, but, now, at 9 weeks, still no breeding from my buttons, and out of the 10 eggs in the incubator, ONE is developing. One other egg had a blood spot. I wouldn't feel so bad if mine would start laying, because shipping must be very hard on the tiny eggs, but, my birds aren't doing anything. I don't even have any hopes for the chicken eggs that I put in tonight, and the button eggs from ebay and bantam EE's that are coming Monday, I feel like I shouldn't even bother putting them into the incubator. [​IMG]

2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I was getting discouraged too but I finally got my first egg today! Mine were 11 weeks old as of Thursday. I kept looking but then the last week I stopped and got the surprise when I came home tonight. I have no idea if mine are breeding though... would I see it? They certainly have stepped up the activity and vocalization in the last week or two.

Nancy

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    don't get too antsie , buttons usually do not do much until about 12 weeks old..

I do not have them anymore, but the roosters seemed to get romantic whenever I fed the flock.
    the little hens would be trying to eat and the roosters would be trying to prove their manhood..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by