Buttons, 9 weeks and nothing?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bettacreek, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, I seem to be an utter failure with buttons. I KNOW that I have one male/female pair, housed together. The other pair, I'm unsure of genders. They're officially 9 weeks old today, and I have yet to have anybody crowing, no eggs, no mating, nothing. After the disaster with the baby buttons, I was disheartened, but, now, at 9 weeks, still no breeding from my buttons, and out of the 10 eggs in the incubator, ONE is developing. One other egg had a blood spot. I wouldn't feel so bad if mine would start laying, because shipping must be very hard on the tiny eggs, but, my birds aren't doing anything. I don't even have any hopes for the chicken eggs that I put in tonight, and the button eggs from ebay and bantam EE's that are coming Monday, I feel like I shouldn't even bother putting them into the incubator. [​IMG]
  2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I was getting discouraged too but I finally got my first egg today! Mine were 11 weeks old as of Thursday. I kept looking but then the last week I stopped and got the surprise when I came home tonight. I have no idea if mine are breeding though... would I see it? They certainly have stepped up the activity and vocalization in the last week or two.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    don't get too antsie , buttons usually do not do much until about 12 weeks old..

I do not have them anymore, but the roosters seemed to get romantic whenever I fed the flock.
    the little hens would be trying to eat and the roosters would be trying to prove their manhood..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by