Buttons, buttons, who has the buttons??? I DO!!!!!!**** PICS ADDED****

jkcove08

Songster
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Iowa
Howly cow!! I have buttons hatching all over the place!!
th.gif
I put 36 of my own button eggs in the bator so that I could have some different colors to take to the Waverly swap. I figured that if I got 15 or so that it would be pretty good. WOW, they started hatching last night and went through today. There are only 9 left to hatch. 6 have pips but I am not sure how many of those will hatch sinfe they are getting rolled a lot. I really want to get the babies out but there are so many that it would let to much humidity out and they woldnt make it anyway.. I will see what happens. I just cant believe that that many are hatching. I will be taking them out tomorrow morning and after getting them settled I will get pics. I think there are a couple that might be pure white even. This is a large group of 13 that live in a colony so you never know whos the daddy..lol Jenn

Last edited:
Currently I have them in a 40 gallon aquarium. It is a little crowded so my hubby is going to build me a large avry for them. I might keep a few if there are some interesting colors. I need to get some eggs from someone else so that I can get some more different blood in there too. Currently there are 3 different places the main stock came from. I love the little guys. I cant wait to get them a larger area. Jenn

OK, 28 our of 36 hatched. 1 was not fertile, 2 died a few days ago, and all of the others pipped but got rolled so much they didnt make it. Here are the pics, Jenn
023-4.jpg

018-1.jpg

022-3.jpg

017-1.jpg

Actually I raise them to sell the eggs. They are to small to eat, hubby says they wouldnt even make a nugget..lol In the northern states it gets to cold in the winter for them to survive. They are also very good for eating the extra seed in the bottom of larger avaries so that it doesnt go to waste. I keep them mainly because they make such wonderful little sounds but not constant. 2 or 3 times a day they will call out and I will usually answer them and then they call back to me. It goes on for a couple minutes and then they are quiet again. They are just a neat little bird, kinda like raising finches or parakeets. The kids really love watching them too. I plan on selling most of these but actually make quite a bit for the eggs, exspecially with all of the neat colorations. I have one chick that hatched yellow and black so I cant wait to see what color it turns out when feathered out. Jenn

Back home we eat quail. It is good meat. Just wondering if anyone raises bob whites and how do you keep them without having then fly up and break their necks? I have considered trying my hand at them but am at a loss and just testing the waters of info.

Ok, here is a pic to show you how small they are. The little chick is on a bottle cap from a 20 oz soda. Jenn
026-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom