buy incubator or build one

Redneck...I absolutely love your Coleman Incubator. I just made a styrofoam one last week, however, over the weekend I picked up an Coleman cooler for only $3. I will attempt my first hatch in the styrofoam one but because you can't really sterilize them, I'll make the Coleman for the next hatch. Your design is awesome.

What did you use for the eggs on the bottom? Also, did you inculate the plexiglass around the edges to prevent heat from escaping?

ok i made one of course my oldlady said it was to big she is probly right but i got it up to 87 degress and it sheemed it just stop my bath fan burned up lol but i had a computer fan my box is 2ft by 2ft by 4ft i have a double light 60watts 50 humity is that ok no eggs just a dry run

First, Redneck, that incubator is AWESOME. Great job. I admire your skills.

Second, I was not confident enough to build an incubator, until I bought an LG. Then I thought, I can do this. Well, actually I saw MissPrissy's "How to Do" and THEN I gained the confidence.

Anyhow, I had just as much fun putting it ll together. And technically, my hatch rate has been high in my homemade bator than in the LG.

BUILD A BATOR!!!

I've read all the posts about building your own, and it seems that for a little more money you can do away with the temp worries with a digital thermostat like another post said.

I done some googling and baseboard heater thermostats can carry a load upto 5000 watts at 240v thats 10kw at 120volts for around $40

That would the ideal way hooked to a low wattage light bulb, and give you the accuracy needed without the figiting of the waterheater thermostat.

It would seem that a home bater that you would want to use for years to come you would want something nearly perfect and accurate.

Thanks to all the suggestions and tips, its been informative and educational.
clap.gif
pop.gif
clap.gif

NoSpringChick............ I didn't seal the edges of the plexiglass. I figured the eggs needed to breath so it wouldn't hurt. Also my side window is a double pain(1 on inside and 1 on outside). I figured it my fog if it were sealed.

By the way I am getting pretty good temps with the water heater thermostat. Anywhere from 99.0-100.0 1/2 degree swing on either side is not bad. The cost of this one is $0.00, all was recycled or found at the recycling center.

Quote:
What a great idea...A No Fog Bator!

I'm still tweaking my homemade water wiggler temperatures. This morning the temp was 102.4....A little high...so I adjusted it ever so slightly....good thing the eggs are not in there yet. I really like your idea of exposing the water thermostat wafer to the air inside and also that you can adjust the thermostat without opening the lid....I'm taking notes for my Coleman Bator.

Do both if you can, its fun building one to..you learne how there made and what does work and doesnt.
hu.gif

Most learne from there mistakes and the ones that dont, keep going down the same road to having NO chicks AND A bag of trashed eggs...
duc.gif

Charlie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom