Buy more chicks??? 3 roo's and 1 hen. Need help please!!

okiemommy

Mother of 5, Prisoner to None
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Okla-Homa
Hi everyone. I am pretty sure that I have three Roo's and one hen, as several BYC memmbers have advised. The questionable RIR is getting pink in it's comb and the other RIR is still up in the air, but I'm leaning towards it being a runt roo. I know that the two Buff Orps that I have, one is a hen and the other undoubtedly a roo. Sooooooo that brings questions on what do next.

I don't really want to get rid of the roo's I have if I can help it, but I will if I have to. So should I buy more chicks?? And if so how in the world can I tell if the chicks that I buy at the feed store are cockerals or pullets? The feed store has RIR, Barred and Plymoth Rock, and Buff Orps. I really do want to go and buy more for several reasons, but I don't want to take chances on them being male. Is there a way to tell m/f in those breeds at such a young age?? Thanks for your help!!! I LOVE this website!!!

Last edited:
for plymouth barred rocks, the males have larger white spots on their heads. I would try to pick the chicks with the most microscopic combs if I were you. I have learned how to vent sex chicks, through reading on the internet and much trial and error. but that may not help you immediately. you probably don't want to experiment on chicks that aren't yours. most feed stores order them sexed I thought. see if they will order you some that are sexed.

Some feed stores sex their chicks. If yours doesn't, you'll just have to take a chance and buy several and hope some are pullets. You can always order sexed pullets from a hatchery. I don't see any reason why you would have to get rid of your roos if you don't want to.

Thank you
big_smile.png
does anyone know if you can sex buffs or RIR's when they are chicks?

Back
Top Bottom