BUY NOTHING DAY - Nov 28

I think a lot of people have more money than brains, and monkey see monkey do. Or could it be their priorities are mixed up. OH!!! I get it ... things just aren't as bad as we think...Right?

Quote:
I guess the phrase "Black Friday" will have an entirely different meaning for those families.

The dh had some show on last night that was the World's Dumbest Shoppers or something like that. I was trolling through the room where it was on...dear god - the stuff they showed everyday normal people doing to get the bargain they so earnestly deserved....*gag*

Quote:
I paid cash..
big_smile.png
but it only came to $32
sad.png
I took advantage of the jackets and pjs on sale for my kids.

but I waited till 9 to miss the crowds ... (took the kids with me) anyway got a parking spot nice and close walked in and walked out no probs...

Quote:
A bit harsh! My husband grows Christmas trees and plants new ones to take the place of each one cut. we are small scale and the local families come all to choose and cut their tree. it is taken home and the decorating is a big family affair. the tree brightens their:thumbsup home over Christmas and we make a little money. not rampant consumerism, I think you will admit!

I dont think that she meant it that way....

Going to get a tree is nothing like they crazyness of walmart or target at 5 in the morning... so it wouldnt count to be relivant towards her black friday shopping thread.

that is more along the lines of what she meant.. I think

wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
A bit harsh! My husband grows Christmas trees and plants new ones to take the place of each one cut. we are small scale and the local families come all to choose and cut their tree. it is taken home and the decorating is a big family affair. the tree brightens their:thumbsup home over Christmas and we make a little money. not rampant consumerism, I think you will admit!

Yeah, I am pretty sure smom1976 is right. I think they meant that getting his tree is a good thing and not comparable to the "black Friday" rush to spend money.
smile.png

I did pretty much all of my shopping online (as I have for the past few years). I am giving handmade gifts to friends and family, the only things I bought are for the kids and spouse. Even that was kept pretty minimal. My kids don't watch TV with commercials, and I think that cuts down on the consumerism. To be honest, I am working on finishing some knit socks for my 14 year old son, and I think he will be happier with those than anything else. They love the holidays, but mostly for the family time, and the cookies of course. Well, maybe mostly for the cookies, they are 12 and 14 year old boys after all.

I really hate shopping, I would just much rather we spend some time together chatting and making projects for everyone. It's a lovely way to spend the day. That's what we will be doing today. Plus eating cookies, of course!

Last edited:
Quote:

Yeah, I am pretty sure smom1976 is right. I think they meant that getting his tree is a good thing and not comparable to the "black Friday" rush to spend money.
smile.png

Sorry - I misunderstood!!
bow.gif

Quote:
smile.png

Sorry - I misunderstood!!
bow.gif

Just for the record, I think people with little local tree farms are too cool!!!! I think it would be awesome to be surrounded by something that brings so much joy every year!!!! You are bringing happiness to lots of people.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom