BUY NOTHING DAY - Nov 28

Well, I won't be buying anything tomorrow but I will buy a permit to cut down a tree in the forest for a Christmas tree. We have an artificial one, but there is nothing like the scent of pine throughout the house.
cool.png

Cutting down a tree to appreciate its beauty does not count as shopping in my book. It is mindless rampant consumerism that this holiday targets. Hope you find just the right tree!

I was once one of those crazy people who got up at 4am to get the best deals. My daughter talked me into it, once.
barnie.gif
I will never do that again.

Tomorrow I will be staying home with my DS making Christmas cookies.
droolin.gif

The only time I ever shopped that day after was when one store was having a 1/2 off sale for that day only - it was a specialty store and my mom collects Swarovski crystal animals and this store had them. I paid $30 for a $65 piece. One store and out.... It was still a nightmare.

my mother just started this last year....she will be getting up in approximately one hour....i never have...im thinking of going with her for like a half hour this year to see if i can find some cheap pvc to make my new feeder lol....but then again, im sure something like that wont be gone around noon when i actually want to get up lol....well see if i feel like it then or not....im debating on going to sleep now or just staying up.....im pretty tired and i know that i will not get up if i go to sleep.....all well....i guess sleep is....nothing like writing something down to sort out your thoughts and making it clear to yourself what to do....i tell ya almost everytime i type something on here the answer seems sort of obvious, doesnt hurt to have opinions though...ok good nite lol

I donʻt care if you are well-off or dirt poor, you should intentionally boycott Black Friday. It only shows the Pavlovian response of the American consumer that we can be trained to spend our holiday/year-end bonuses 30 days early just so the charge bills will arrive the same day as our checks. I give gift cards on Christmas morning and then offer my family rides to the best clearance sales during the week after the holiday. They get more, I spend less and we have some great family time together cashing in on the retail industryʻs stupidity.

Pavlovian response or not, tomorrow a saw my SO has been needing for what seems like forever will be marked down almost $300, and we'll be there to snatch it. Not even ebay has matched that deal on this saw . . . it may be a ploy to up mindless consumerism, but Black Friday sure has its perks. I do approve of the protests, though, and we certainly won't be buying anything else just because it's pretty and on sale.

Back
Top Bottom