Buy? Or Build? Heeeeellllllppppp!!

That's good, coop first...then chickens!!!
Spend the winter studying coops, then get or build one, then chickens in the spring.
There's a lot to learn and you can avoid many problems by studying it first.
I have been studying a ton! But waiting all the way to spring will be soooo hard for me! I want chickens really bad!! But, it is something to think about!

I applaud you for thinking ahead and preparing in advance.

Prefabs are so flimsy. And small. Go to your local tractor supply and have a look at the displays. Imagine putting a half dozen small dogs in one...too small. Imagine trying to keep a large dog out of one...too flimsy.

There are so many ideas on BYC. I've seen coops built inside dog kennels, coops built from fence panels, and hoop coops built from cattle panels and posts. Some require nothing more than an electric drill and some screws.
Also consider craigslist. Playhouses and sheds are easily repurposed.
The chickens will not care how it looks. They just need a safe, covered, and well ventilated area.
Good luck and enjoy!

I don't see them taking a full grown full sized chicken but chicks, eggs, and smaller breeds yes.

I agree with what arrt said. Study up this winter and get in on the spring hatch.
Will they be able to get into a coop? I thought most of them look pretty safe as far as unwanted visitors getting in! I guess I could build during the winter and be all ready for the spring!

There are always predators to consider but with a fence around you should be safer. Just make sure your coop is built well. I suggest building it... but if you are totally not up for that try hiring someone or asking a friend for a chicken coop they recommend. Hope that this helps.

I've handled only one and it was as strong if not stronger than either of my full grown coons so build it to keep 'em out.

Before I talk up them stalking coops too much you might want to go in your state thread and find out if it's a big problem. I only know ya'll have them down there and the pet one my buddy had loved raw eggs.

I applaud you for thinking ahead and preparing in advance.

Prefabs are so flimsy. And small. Go to your local tractor supply and have a look at the displays. Imagine putting a half dozen small dogs in one...too small. Imagine trying to keep a large dog out of one...too flimsy.

There are so many ideas on BYC. I've seen coops built inside dog kennels, coops built from fence panels, and hoop coops built from cattle panels and posts. Some require nothing more than an electric drill and some screws.
Also consider craigslist. Playhouses and sheds are easily repurposed.
The chickens will not care how it looks. They just need a safe, covered, and well ventilated area.
Good luck and enjoy!
Thank you for responding! I am sure the chickens don’t care what it looks like, but I want it to be adorable!! Don’t chickens feel proud of their home? Or not?? I thought keeping chickens happy and comfy helped keep them healthy! Or do they truly not care at all? I know they need a roost to stand on, a box to lay in, and room to spread their wings in a run! But I thought it was better if they loved their coop too? Maybe I’m being silly! I just want a cute coop!

Back
Top Bottom