Buy? Or Build? Heeeeellllllppppp!!

Pics
Eggs and pets!

I just wanted to mention that the higher production breeds (like red sex-links, australorps, rhode island reds, etc.) will have more health issues, and shorter life spans. If you want pets, I would go for Easter Eggers, Wyandottes, or Orpingtons. Bantams are really good if you don't mind the low egg production. Cochin bantams, Old English Game bantams, and D'Uccles are all nice breeds.

As I am sure you are aware, I am such a newby to the chicken arena that I haven’t even gotten my first chicken yet! I have been studying coops. Now, since I am just beginning, isn’t it okay if I purchase a cute little coop, or do you really have to build one?? Honestly, I would much rather buy one! A builder I ain’t!! And, I would like to the the beginning of this new adventure as simple as possible for me! Now, since I have all that outta the way, which brand is best?
I hope I am not becoming a bother! I want to be successful when I do actually get a chicken! And thank you for all of your help!
Don't ever feel like you are a bother especially here you are new newbies always have a lot of questions he** us seasoned owners have questions so ask away imo prefab coops are crap and are never big enough if it were me I would get a shed and convert it to a coop it is easy enough that my 12yo niece did it on her own and no matter if you get a prefab or not you have to build it but if you get a shed or prefab you will have directions to follow

As I am sure you are aware, I am such a newby to the chicken arena that I haven’t even gotten my first chicken yet! I have been studying coops. Now, since I am just beginning, isn’t it okay if I purchase a cute little coop, or do you really have to build one?? Honestly, I would much rather buy one! A builder I ain’t!! And, I would like to the the beginning of this new adventure as simple as possible for me! Now, since I have all that outta the way, which brand is best?
I hope I am not becoming a bother! I want to be successful when I do actually get a chicken! And thank you for all of your help!
i know how it feels you might think that its less work just to buy one but i am telling i bought one and it was a waste of 300 dollars i could've build something a lot nicer and easier to clean if you can find a chicken coop you want to build i would do it! Its cheaper to build it your self. i found that all the ones that come already build are VERY hard and heavy to put together. i wish i could go back a few months so that i could build one myself.

I agree with the shed suggestions. Buy some coloured exterior wood paint and make it pretty yourself!

I also recommend bantams because you can have more chickens for the space and greater variety of breeds and colours than large fowl. They lay well, just not like egg machines.

I live in a neighborhood, so small is the key for right now...maybe 3 chickens. I live in Central Florida so it’s hot. I think winters are freezing, but I get cold with anything below 80! My plan is to purchase a small coop and run and a sail shade for them not to get too hot. I don’t think we have predators around here, we have a vinyl fence all around the yard so I think they will be safe.
i would still be very careful about the predators i live in the treasure coast of Florida and i also have a fence and i didn't think raccoons would climb over/under the fence and well 2 weeks ago it killed one of my chicks . when i have went up to northern FL i have seen some coyotes. but the predators i have are racoons, hawks, and snakes

You don't notice predators until you get poultry. It seems like the predators come out of the woodwork to check out the new area.
I live in the suburbs...I have coyotes around the desert. Never have I found a coyote in my yard. Unless I forgot to leave the gate open. I live close by to the city of Santa Clarita. A very large suburb city. People find foxes, bobcats in their backyards. They have soaring high brick fence! So it always a good idea to be protective of our coop!

Back
Top Bottom