Buying a coop

The first one has great space. I can only tell so much from the pictures as to the condition of it. I can tell that it was not built by code or even the best building practices. However, it is for chickens to live in and not humans.

I do not see all the metal that was mentioned by someone. I do see a metal roof over osb plywood. The metal on top of the osb will not increase heat in the coop. It will actually be as cool or cooler that way than with asphalt shingles. The siding does not appear to be metal?? But, even if it is should not be problem. You are in Michigan. I am in Alabama and my coop is metal siding and roof. As long as you have very good ventilation you will be fine with that. You would definitely need to add ventilation no matter what it is constructed out of.

You could do a lot with that and have a lot of space for the chicken math to kick in. Of course the other can work as well, just not as well for the chicken math and you do not already have a run with the smaller one.

Personally, I would work with the big one as long it is not in such bad shape that it just does not make sense to. I think the biggest thing would be figuring out how I would do the ventilation in it.

Both sheds are viable options.
To make the first shed work, I would remove the wire on the run. Frame the run in. Buy hardware cloth wide enough to cover the height or remove the chicken wire and scab a narrower piece of hardware cloth to the top. You will need to run 2x4s on the seam to secure it and to not make a weak spot that a raccoon can spread and squeeze through. Ventilation is poor and natural light is non-existent. I would remove some siding up high on the run side. Cover the opening with hardware cloth. The roof on the run will keep blowing snow out. The double front doors look easy to breech. Leave the old doors on. Frame in the doorway. Make a people door and cover in more hardware cloth. Gives you the option to open up the coop in the summer to create a nice breeze or close the solid doors when the weather turns. Take the chicken wire from the run and use it to make an apron around the run. Attach it to the bottom board and just lay it on top of the ground. A stray dog won't be able to dig under the run.
The plusses of the first shed is a nice big roofed run, the shed is extra large for long winters and the upgrades will be quick and inexpensive. $200-300 max. Could easily accommodate 20 chickens.
Shed #2 is definitely better built. Remove all the cabinets and use the wood to build nesting boxes. The windows are nice for some natural light but hopefully they open for some air. Cover in hardware cloth to beef up security. There is no ventilation up high and unfortunately the roof does not give you any overhang to keep rain and snow out. The shed conversion will be cheap. To make a hoop run each panel will make a 4x8 section. 3 panels, $75, will give you a 12x8 run. It will need to be covered in hardware cloth so this is where the major expense is. You can use the hardware cloth from the old run but it's probably not enough. You will need to frame out the end. Covering it will be necessary for use in the winter. Could be a simple tarp up to metal roofing $$. You are limited to 8-10 chickens.

Both options are better than going out and buying a new coop.

@aart here are pictures of the eaves.

My husbands concern with this one is it is too close to the house. He was worried about the smell of chicken poop, and asked me to “check with the chicken people” if it will be a problem. As I mentioned before it’s about 20 feet from the house.

Attachments

• 625CF4E4-F07D-476B-98DB-3EAA7FE05ABB.jpeg
    625CF4E4-F07D-476B-98DB-3EAA7FE05ABB.jpeg
    795.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 967A6BEE-CD51-4A69-8A1E-63CD5DE7DEB0.jpeg
    967A6BEE-CD51-4A69-8A1E-63CD5DE7DEB0.jpeg
    806.2 KB · Views: 6
  • E4C7B6F6-3940-405E-A9B9-12BDDB0989FC.jpeg
    E4C7B6F6-3940-405E-A9B9-12BDDB0989FC.jpeg
    785.8 KB · Views: 6
  • EE98B34C-4EFE-48D5-9E8A-ACCE20C4ADD9.jpeg
    EE98B34C-4EFE-48D5-9E8A-ACCE20C4ADD9.jpeg
    679 KB · Views: 6
  • 5B445AEA-8E4D-4578-8C75-5EC4BB60315E.jpeg
    5B445AEA-8E4D-4578-8C75-5EC4BB60315E.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 5

My husbands concern with this one is it is too close to the house. He was worried about the smell of chicken poop, and asked me to “check with the chicken people” if it will be a problem. As I mentioned before it’s about 20 feet from the house.
I mean.... I today went and grabbed a chair and sat in their run.... I didnt notice a smell, but I might just be accustomed. I don't believe you would notice, especially if it was kept clean, but I could be wrong

Excellent to have open eaves.
Tho it looks like some rot on the fascia, makes me wonder about the shingle condition and if maybe the shingles and fascia should have some repairs done.
Can cover the open soffits with 1/2"Hardware Cloth to keep critters out.
Several ways to do it, I did mine on the outside, see My Coop page.

If you keep it cleanish and choose the right bedding, it shouldn't stink.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

If the run materials are managed well the daily work is minimal (seriously I feed, water, toss some scratch and that's it on a daily basis).
I add lots of leaves in fall and garden trimmings, grass clippings in summer. Like aart mentioned just those fresh cecal poops stink.
The birds stir the materials around and natural composting occurs.
Every couple years I rake back the top and remove some good fertilizer for the garden.

If the coop is kept bone-dry, the ventilation is generous, the bedding well-managed, and the chickens are not overcrowded there shouldn't be any noticeable odor except under unusual conditions.

I forget if I already linked you my article on Deep Bedding or not so I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

I clean my coop 4-5 times a year and never have odor problems. :)

We are thinking of purchasing a coop but wanted advice from the experts. We formerly talked about converting an existing shed on the property, but it’s out of our line of vision and we didn’t even notice when a fox stopped by and took a few chickens.

so we were hoping for opinions from you guys on this coop for our remaining ladies.
This is the coop in question:

https://www.familyfarmandhome.com/chicken-coop-t242674.html

Thank you in advance!
Hi, it looks Inadequate and small for happy chickens. If you have a shed, can you put a fence around it? I have a live stock fence but I stuck some wood poles up to 6 feet and used bird netting over that. Nothing worse than stooping every time you're in the run.
Another alternative is calling a few shed places to see how much it would be to move your current shed to a better location and then fortifying it so it is predator proof.

Back
Top Bottom