Buying a coop

Ann Perkhens

Chirping
Jan 14, 2021
Kalkaska, Michigan
We are thinking of purchasing a coop but wanted advice from the experts. We formerly talked about converting an existing shed on the property, but it’s out of our line of vision and we didn’t even notice when a fox stopped by and took a few chickens.

so we were hoping for opinions from you guys on this coop for our remaining ladies.
This is the coop in question:

https://www.familyfarmandhome.com/chicken-coop-t242674.html

Thank you in advance!

They don't even list dimensions no matter what I click. :barnie

Having seen similar in person I would definitely NOT get it.

Premade coops are nearly always made of cheap thin strips of soft wood. They warp and crack in the first year. They are undersized and easy for predators to enter.

You're in Michigan.... That means snow correct?

Can you go to the store and actually see this coop in person?

A coop doesn't need to be in line of sight to keep birds safe. The coop and secure run can do that. If free ranging there are risks. A secure run is handy even if you choose to free range. It can be used when there are predators around or deep snow.

Rules of thumb:

If it looks like a dollhouse it's only suited for toy chickens.​
If they don't list the actual dimensions on the website it's because they're trying to make you think it's bigger than it is.​
If there are more nestboxes than the number of chickens it ought to hold there are probably other serious flaws because the designer/builder doesn't know anything about chickens.​
And if the dimensions are given in inches instead of in feet it's almost certainly too small.​

If you want 8 chickens and are using the usual guidelines for space (which are minimums, really, especially in a climate where they might be confined indoors due to heavy snow or other severe weather), you need 4 square feet in the coop, 10 square feet in the run, 1 linear foot of roost space, and 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen.

So, that means a coop that's 8x4 or 6x6,

With an 8x10 run,

8 feet of roost,

And 8 square feet of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation -- preferably located above the chickens' heads when they're sitting on the roost. The pop door that is closed at night and windows that are closed in the winter don't count. :)

In short, if you don't want to use the existing shed the money for that coop would probably be better spent on buying another shed to convert.

We are thinking of purchasing a coop but wanted advice from the experts. We formerly talked about converting an existing shed on the property, but it’s out of our line of vision and we didn’t even notice when a fox stopped by and took a few chickens.

so we were hoping for opinions from you guys on this coop for our remaining ladies.
This is the coop in question:

https://www.familyfarmandhome.com/chicken-coop-t242674.html

Thank you in advance!
It shouldn't matter if the shed is out of the line of view. You can make it predator proof.
I converted an old shed on my property into my coop and I can't see it from any window in my house. I have to go outside. Nothing is getting in.
Please post pictures of your shed, inside and out, and we'll help you resign it and make it predator proof for a lot less than building from scratch and you won't be wasting money on a rinky dinky pre-fab.

We have 3. We would like 8.
The website doesn’t list the dimensions. I called the store and they said 8-10. I’m not sure how much of an over exaggeration that is
Usually, what stores say, I would count in half the amount they say. If you want happy chickens, plan on 4 sqft in the coop (per bird) and 10sqft per bird in the run. So for 8 chickens, an 80sqft run and a 32sqft coop.

A coop doesn't need to be in line of sight to keep birds safe. The coop and secure run can do that. If free ranging there are risks. A secure run is handy even if you choose to free range. It can be used when there are predators around or deep snow.
I can't see my chickens or geese from the house and they are 100% safe. They are safe because the enclosure is predator proof and even when they free range, loose dogs can't get to them.
That coop is a waste of $250 and it will only hold 2 large fowl hens. You will be right back here looking for a replacement in 2 months. Give us pictures of your current coop and we'll help you make it a killer coop. Having an existing structure is going to save you $1000 or more in the current lumber shortage.

There is a reason that these store bought coop/runs are not very good, which is the price. Think about it. The one in your link cost $249.99. You can not build much for $250 even before the recent skyrocketing of lumber prices. Then, there is a markup on that price. I do not know what the markup is, but there is not much at all left for materials. There was not much to start with.
You will most certainly be better off putting the money in to what you already have.

There is a reason that these store bought coop/runs are not very good, which is the price. Think about it. The one in your link cost $249.99. You can not build much for $250 even before the recent skyrocketing of lumber prices. Then, there is a markup on that price. I do not know what the markup is, but there is not much at all left for materials. There was not much to start with.
You will most certainly be better off putting the money in to what you already have.
You can build a decent coop if you're willing to scavenge and find sales. We build this for around $150. Added onto a playhouse. Playhouse was free. Hardware cloth was on sale for under $10 for a 20ft roll. Paint was marked down because it was already mixed. Wood was almost free and found on nextdoor and letgo. Had to buy a couple 2x4s. It took some time but in the end we ended up with a great coop.

Attachments

• 20210412_161005.jpg
    20210412_161005.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200505_203728.jpg
    20200505_203728.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom