Buying a pony in bad shape

Pics
Please do keep us updated on Miss Poppy and what the vet has to say for her. (We had a Spotted Saddle Horse mare who always kept a big belly but was solid bill of health- none of her babies had it, and it was odd for her breed.)

I believe I remember something about change in diet possibly causing bloating if they've been malnourished, but talk to your vet for certain and don't hold me to it as the answer!

Other than that, great job on saving another four-legged friend :thumbsup

If he does make it through the 2 week period what do you recommend feeding him and how much at a time? I got some alfalfa pellets and some higher fat/protein performance feed, as well as some probiotic chews. Not sure what type of hay to get or if he should have it free choice.

Is there an animal welfare available. They should be reported for their treatment of this poor thing.
They were moving the horse to another location when I left yesterday, plus there's another horse on the property that I'm trying to persuade then to sell me. I'm not about to offend them. The mom and kids seemed like decent human beings and they planned to settle the matter of the horses condition themselves.

Thank you! He perked up enough to trot yesterday when I let him out, but only for a couple of minutes because he realized there was food in his other pen

She is supposed to be just under a year old, she has a small hernia, crooked legs, some lovely nose/lip warts, a cough and runny nose, and a belly that is apparently not a worm belly, but the jury is still out on whether or not it's a baby belly or a hay belly and the vet is swamped and won't have time to look at her until Thursday. My dad swears it's a baby and a pregnancy is going to kill her, farrier and his wife say it could be a baby or hay but definitely get her preg checked and she doesn't look wormy, sister says it's a baby, and a guy that I met yesterday said he would swear she's too young to be pregnant but the lack of worms in her stool after a good dose of wormer is concerning.
All that aside, she's the sweetest baby I've ever met. She loves Canelo and yells at him over the fence constantly.
I would like opinions on her belly shape and how high of a risk it will be if she is pregnant and too far along to terminate it, but best case scenario it's just a hay belly.:fl
How's it going @ABS9590 ? Thinking of you all and would love an update.

Back
Top Bottom