Buying a pony in bad shape

Pics

ABS9590

Songster
6 Years
Feb 18, 2016
This is not a question of "should I buy" because I know I shouldn't but am going to anyway but more of a question of "is he going to improve in the next 2 weeks and what could possibly be wrong with him"
Saw a horse on CL, made an appointment to go look at him. In the CL ad he looks a little skinny, but when I go see in person he looks like this and it's bad. The owner is a kid and his mom pays relatives to care for the horse on their property but when we got there they had trouble finding him. As it turns out, the horse that I plan to purchase is locked in a shed at the back with no food or water. The kid started crying but still rode him. Horse looked pretty weak, his legs were shaky, and his tail and backside were dirty with poo. I gave them a deposit under the condition that if the horse hasn't improved by the time I go back on the 25th they refund it and the mom agreed. What do you think the chances are the horse will survive and doesn't have some hideous disease? He looked terrible, but the kids tears seemed real. But then again, I am gullible.
If he survives/improves before the 25th, I plan to make a lower offer and then take him straight to the nearest vet.
But what are his chances of surviving and improving?
00m0m_kf5j4yoXzLM_1200x900.jpg
Horse on CL vs. Horse when I got there. Pics were supposedly taken 2-3 weeks apart
20191012_135709.jpg

Wow just wow! Over here that would be an animal welfare case. He’s seriously malnourished & under weight. That can’t be fixed in 2 weeks. He needs to built up slowly on the hard feed & ad lib on the hay and or haylage. If he were mine or going to be mine I would also have a vet do some blood work on him. A worm egg count and he more than likely needs a thoroughly good worming. I would also have the dentist out to check his teeth.

Unfortunately, some people lie. I would find a vet that will do a pre-purchase exam for you. While that may cost you $200 or more, depending on where you are, you are making a big commitment and that is really a small price to pay to know what you are getting into. It may be simply neglect and he will be fine, but it could be more and end up costing you both financially and emotionally. I bought a horse many, many years ago that was in very sad shape, after determining that it was just from neglect and he was sound otherwise. He needed time, feeding and care and he was ultimately wonderful. But during recovery he colic-ed and also had a bout of large scary hives.
As hard as it is, making an emotional decision about an animal like a horse can have terrible consequences. That looks like more than 3 weeks of neglect to me, but the saddle in the first picture is hiding a lot. People lie about age also, if he's older, has not had teeth floated and is having a hard time feeding, that could also contribute. I have called animal control on horses that look like this before, did not feel bad about it at all. The animal deserves better.

The night before his vet appointment this poor boy hung himself in a fence by the neck and one hoof and collapsed...it could easily have been the end of him had we not gone for an extra evening check.
Vet says he needs groceries and some wormer, then he got vaccines, some slight dental work, and compliments on how easy he is to get along with! We moved him to another place with a stall, smaller run, and no gate gaps, that is also conveniently down the road from the vet. She said the feeding plan I'm already following is just right and that he has some minor front limb deformities (his feet turn slightly inward), but it shouldn't be a problem because he's not a performance horse. Also the scrapes from the fence incident aren't too bad and the slight swelling on the sides of his head should go down in a couple of days.
She also said she will be very surprised if he gets any taller but it could happen. My fingers are crossed for a miracle lol. He has been renamed Canelo and won the hearts of my husband, both parents, one vet, and 2 large animal techs. He hasn't been drugged and his good behavior has continued, he really seems as close to bombproof as a 3 year old can be.
Thanks everyone so much for the advice, opinions, and positive vibes! Please pray that he doesn't keep being accident prone, my heart can't take another incident like the other night.

I have had some you could put your hand between the ribs. This horse does not appear to have been foundered - can't say on the colic. Was he coughing or anything - other than being shaky? THAT would certainly be due to lack of food and water.

I had one that was in such sad shape, we could not agree on the age. After being fed up and he started to gain weight, he also started to get knobs on the side of his cheek bones. Turns out his body was stealing calcium from itself - and the knobs were from the bone growing back. I got him at about 13 hands - we thought maybe 10 years old. When he finished out, he was 16 hands and the vet said closer to 2 years old.

If it was me and depending on what they are asking, I would take a chance on him, but I agree with Penny that it should be now and not later.

Or call the humane society.

Sticking legs through plank fencing leading to lacerations, stone bruises, rolling on a roofing nail leading to an abcess. Sticking head through corral planks leading to scrapes, slipping on pavement and dumping us both on the road. You name it, my horse did it all. They seem to come programed to do stuff to themselves and to their owners also. Kinda like big dumb dogs. :love you just can't help but love them.

You can see the turned in hoof on the one pic. I would think a good farrier would be able to help that with frequent trimmings and corrective shoeing.

:hugs:hugsto you your family and Canelo. May you all live long and prosper!

Reading over briefly and looking at his photos, this guy definitely needs some weight on him. Not sure if you are able to do the pre-purchase exam but...If you do bring him home, first thing go ahead and get a veterinarian established. Have them evaluate the horse including feet and teeth. Check for parasites. If you have any other horses, keep him quarantined right now. Talk to your veterinarian about a healthy weight for him and what they recommend for feeding regimen. Wishing you all the best and so glad you're considering taking this fella in. Keep us posted please!

EDIT: Noticing his low hanging head in the photos- has he been alert when you've seen him, or mainly seemed tired/out of it? I would make sure to mention lethargy to the vet if it is an issue and try to narrow down what may be the cause.

Back
Top Bottom