Buying a pony in bad shape

He likely has some QH in him, but every horse is not a result of a purebred breeding a purebred. He might be a "mutt" for several generations back... Heinz57 horses are often referred to as Grade on any paperwork (Coggins, HC, etc.). He is a sorrel, which is a color.

I do not get the feeling from just looking at him that anything is deathly wrong with him. He just needs some good groceries, probably a dewormer and maybe a float. I bet he will turn out to be a gorgeous guy in a few months!

I'm sorry for the kid who lost his pony.

I'm sorry for the pony, having to endure the last few months.

I hope this works out well for all concerned; waiting to hear what the vet has to say.:fl

As to breed? All scrawny horses kinda look alike. How tall is he? If he truly is only 3 1/2, he may yet grow a bit taller with some decent feed and care.

"If there's a way a horse can hurt himself, he'll find it." Don't know who first said that, but it's one of those sayings that have been echoing through barn aisles for ages.:rolleyes:

My miniature horse Blondie somehow managed to get both feet on one side tangled in a hay net. When I found her, she was nearly upside down, and the ground around her was so torn up, it was clear she'd been that way for a while. With my heart in my throat, I cut her free. She got up, stumbled out into the barn yard, and went down again, and I thought, "my poor baby, you're as good as dead, you just don't know it yet." Scary, scary, scary - she spent a couple of weeks in the back yard, lying down a lot at first, then spending more and more time on her feet. The day I saw her trot across the yard, I was like:celebrate. She made a full recovery, but I think her small size is what saved her life.

When you said Canelo got hung up, I had a flashback to that incident.:oops:

So glad you made that late visit to check on him!!!

Hopefully, he's through trying to give you a heart attack, and will just put on weight and be loving and lovely from here on out.:fl

To be honest my heart honestly sunk reading the first bit of that first line because I was thinking oh my gosh no. I am so extremely happy that you got to him in time and he's okay now though- prayers for this fella's safety by all means. I think over it a little and maybe it's just the fact he's changed environments and everything is so new- maybe he got confused and just needs to settle in. Like I said, I'll be praying he gets comfortable and settles in to his surroundings and feels safe/secure.

:thumbsup GOOD ON YOU having a breakaway halter though- my aunt used to drill it into my head that she'd seen too many horses get stuck on fences or trees, or go to scratch their face and get a hoof caught. I'm grateful for her lessons in safety nonetheless.

I adore his new name, and the photos of that soft face just melt my heart. Give that sweet boy some kisses on the muzzle and lots of pets! His expression and face honestly reminds me of part QH still. I'm glad other than his accident, that he's had good behavior and been so gentle. And again, big thumbs up for adopting Canelo in and providing him a loving home.

(Remember: Photos never get old!) :pop

No I personally think that has been caused by more than 2 weeks of neglect for the pony.

Could you organise a vet to do some blood work where he is now? Or even get him fully vetted so you know it’s something that can be out right? In my opinion the people you are buying him from should be doing that especially as he looks like he does.
I did contact a vet closer to the horse but they probably won't get back to me until Monday

Back
Top Bottom