Buying Chickens and prices

Quote:
The weather would be fine for them, as far as hatching their own babies, not so much. These breeds, while considered "dual purpose", are really more for egg production. If you want babies from these breeds, you will need an incubator.

Good broodies:
Cochins
Silkies
Old English Games
some Brahmas
some Orpingtons

Since you're asking about selling prices I have to ask, are you thinking this will be a profitmaking operation? Because most likely it will not be, at least not for a considerable while and then *only* if you are a shrewd businessperson and like connecting with lots of different people as well as being an attentive and careful chickenkeeper.

Not only does feed cost a bunch, so do facilities and upkeep and other stuff, plus if you have to pay someone to take care of it all anytime you want to go away for the weekend.

OTOH if you just basically want chickens and are merely wondering whether you can defray part of the costs by selling surplus, that's different and much more reasonable
smile.png

Pat

We have Buff Orpingtons and Silver Laced Wyandottes. Our Buffs are laying at least for 2 months now, they are turning 7 months in couple days, lay through pretty cold winter, mostly large brown eggs, and the barn is not even insulated. We have a few broody hens(all Orps), given a chance I am sure they will hatch some eggs. And they are friendly and beautiful! How they will lay during hot summer is still a question for us. I vote for BOrps !
clap.gif

Quote:
I just had to say that this is excellent advice. I too, had thoughts of selling my surplus, and realize that the last statement is right on...with $11+ a bag of feed, feeders, waterers, treats( veggies from the store, black oil sunflower seeds, yogurt) and all the misc. things you can buy...I don't think I would ever make what I have spent on my chickens. And I mix my layer formula with cracked corn, to save some, but have also bought recently "different items" like AC Vinegar, Cayenne pepper powder, Chamomile tea that all adds up. Granted some of these things aren't constantly needed, and some may never use them at all. I have been able to sell some eggs, but I don't think what I have sold, has yet added up to a bag of feed. And that's with getting 15-19 eggs these past few weeks. I have ended up giving away quite a few, my family has eaten several dozen, and then I scrambled up some more to give back to chickens.

Sorry that got off to rambling, when I just wanted to quote the above post, lol! Just my ideas on making money on chickens...it would be nice, but I don't see it happening easily
smile.png

All good ideas from those above.

If you can get some good Easter Eggers or true Ameraucaunas (more difficult to find) that lay a green or blue egg, these are likely to be be very attractive to sell. Be aware that from all the hatcheries, you are really getting an Easter Egger, a "Mutt," even if advertised as Ameraucaunas. These Easter Eggers may or may NOT lay a blue or green egg as advertised. nevertheless, they will lay a pretty egg anyway and they are very hardy & friendly. To get true Amerau. & assured blue eggs, you will have to buy from a private breeder.

I keep a specimen flock for my own enjoyment and everybody loves the look of my Buff Orpington hen. The yellow is always attractive and people notice her.

Back
Top Bottom