Buying Chickens and prices

thechickenfarm

Hatching
12 Years
Jan 24, 2008
Im a first time buyer and i was wondering what breed of chickens i should go with, I want to have 7 to 10 hens and one or 2 roosters. I want to sell the chicks at the local livestock market which breed will sell for the most?

You can fetch about $15 for a purebreed hen at point of lay (POL). Maybe $20-$25 if they're exotic.

I get around $8-$10 for my surplus roosters at 8-10 weeks of age at auction.

Ones you like!
wink.png

Chickens can be quite a bit of work-if you don't like them, it will really seem like work.

So, that being said, what qualities/colors/patterns/egg color do you prefer? Do you like feathered feet or clean legged? Do you like beards and a muff, or a clean faced bird?

well its my first time and honestly i dont know what kind i like but i have always wanted to raise chickens and my new house had a chicken coop that came with it so i thought it would be the perfect opportunity

Might I suggest, http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens . They have LOTS of breeds with pictures so you can get an idea of what's out there. Find a few you like the looks of and come back to ask your questions about a specifice breed. It's a lot easier than just asking what breed-it's different for everyone, and everyon has their favorites-though they might not be right for someone else.

That being said, my favorite breeds include cochins, Ameraucanas/Easter Eggers, and silkies

Last edited:
It will depend on your local market and demand. One member on here located in Colorado gets $8 for I believe 7-8 week old pullets. Cockerals would be significantly less.

would you recommend those breeds in northern california? are they good egg layers and do they hatch most of there eggs?

There are few things that I would like to add here... first, have you checked the laws in CA to make sure that you are going to be able to sell your chickens? Here in Arkansas you can only sell birds off of your premises unless you are NPIP certified. Getting the certification wasn't a huge hassel for me and I am thankful that I have it. I would hate for you to get into something and then not have it work out the way that you hoped for. Good luck..

Kat in Arkansas

Back
Top Bottom