buying chicks?

JustGranny

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Ashfrod, Washington
Hi Everyone,

I have only 4 Wyandottes at the moment due to mishaps that thins my 8 down to 4! One chick died the second day, I didn't want the extra roos and my dog got one!
sad.png
I want to add more chicks this coming spring but I have questions. I got a catalog from the Randall Burkey Company and everything looks great. Problem is I am in Washington state and they are in Texas!
I bought the Wyandottes from the feed store here but can't get sexed chicks there and I can't have a Roo, very sorry to say my neighbors made me get rid of the one I had kept previously. Is it safe to order chicks by mail? I haven't found any breeders here in Washington state that I could either order from or go pick up the chick. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Also my hen house is 8' X 8' and I have a huge fenced area for my chickens along with a few Flemish Giant bunnies. I am assuming the hen house would be fine to add the extra chickens since there is such an outdoor area they certainly enjoy! Then I stop and remember the old saying about assuming.......!
Thanks for any replies,
Nancy

In the blue bar at the top of our Chicken Breeders and Hatcheries forum, there is information linked on hatcheries, and on breeders. Some have a minimum order of 25, and some will ship smaller quantities. I think people often use My Pet Chicken when they only want a few. Also, in the spring many stores order chicks and sell them in the store. You might check with the feed stores in your area. There is a chain here called Tractor Supply that gets chicks in the spring; I do not know if they are in your area, but if not, I imagine there is another. You could also check the Washingtonians thread here,
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/461/washingtonians

Chicks are generally shipped within 24 hours of hatching. They can live on yolk they have absorbed for the first 3 days or so, so most do fine in shipping, although they do arrive a little dehydrated and stressed. Your coop should hold about 16 to 20 chickens with no problem.

Thanks Judy! I bought my chickens last Spring at a feed store but they don't sell sexed chick...you hope you get only pullets. I really want only pullets due to my neighbor's not wanting to hear the Roo's crow.

Thanks again, Nancy

Thanks Judy! I bought my chickens last Spring at a feed store but they don't sell sexed chick...you hope you get only pullets. I really want only pullets due to my neighbor's not wanting to hear the Roo's crow.

Thanks again, Nancy

Most hatcheries offer sexed chicks, not a problem. You might pay a little extra for them but it's worth it. I live in Southeast Georgia and have ordered from Meyer hatchery out of Ohio and Ideal hatchery out of Texas over the years and the pullets have always arrived as healthy as can be.

Back
Top Bottom