Buying Quality Turkey Hatching Eggs

I got my eggs from a breeder listed in the Livestock Breeds Conservancy breeder directory, and I couldn't be happier. I just now did a quick check and saw that there are several Bourbon Red breeders listed in KY and neighboring states, so I'd just start checking there first.

Another resource is your regional poultry judge. Your local fair board, FFA or 4-H club should have his/her name and contact information. The judge knows whos who in the breeding/showing world and can help steer you to a reputable breeder. And by all means, if you can drive and pick the eggs up yourself, do so...as chances are your hatch rate will be much higher than if you had them shipped.

Although sometimes you can find really NICE heritage breeders within easy driving distance on Craigslist. Just be sure to ask plenty of questions, and possibly visit the farm if allowed. And for those who have closed farms (won't let people come on their property for fear of cross-contamination), at least see if they well show you current pics of their flock. I just found a breeder just 17 miles away that is raising quality Midget White turkeys, and has both eggs and poults for sale. I've got the Narragansetts right now and not enough room to add another separate flock, otherwise I'd seriously consider getting some of the MWs.

Back
Top Bottom