by the look of their combs when do you think the will lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lindy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. lindy

lindy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    Australorps, 16 weeks old.

[​IMG] picture taken today (December 27th)

[​IMG] two girls together

2. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    They just don't look quite ripe to me yet. My hens combs got red and stayed red for a while before they laid. And did the squat for a few weeks before too.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

So what exactly is "the squat"??? Is that when you stroke or pet them and they lay/squat down??? Or is it what they do on their own?? My girl is looking like Lindy's and will squat down when I pet her, but I think she is far too young to start laying yet (@16 weeks). I assumed they wouldn't lay for at least another 8 weeks, especially at this time of year????

4. mendygnl

mendygnl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Glidden, IA
    These girls are getting close, but look like they need just a bit more time.
    Mine started to lay at 18 weeks (BR, Black sex link) not long after they started squatting. I put some golf balls in the next box as a hint, but don't know if it was actually effective or not. It's such a joy to find that first egg!

5. nursemeh

nursemeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    those are pretty chickens!

I have 2 BA and one started laying at 21 weeks, the other just started laying at 24 weeks. They are huge fluffy birds now- yours are going to fill out quite a bit in the next month!! Don't rush it- they will lay!!

Now mine are very faithful. I get 5-7 eggs a week from each one!!

Enjoy the anticipation!!!!

6. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Pretty immature combs now, but come spring and summer, you'll have tons of eggs from those pretty girls.

7. lindy

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    just in the four days that i was gone for Christmas there combs turned red, i saw that there combs should get bigger so i figured i should ask the aprox. time they should start to lay.

8. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    It looks to me like it will be awhile before your's start laying.

I have 2 BA and have been disappointed with them so far. They are almost 10 months old and only in the last few days have showed signs of laying. Their combs were pink until a couple of days ago. One is starting to squat. I also saw one of them in a nest box yesterday. They are by far the biggest birds in my flock. One of them is the lead bird. Most of the other pullets started laying eggs in September and October. The BA's also happen to be the oldest (only by 1 - 2 weeks).

I was just telling my wife a few days ago that these birds are looking like they may have a lot of meat on them and might make a couple of nice meals. They must have heard us talking and got the hint [​IMG]. Good thing because I could not butcher them and I have not been able to find anyone locally that processes a small number of chickens (We were looking in the spring when we were deciding what to do with an unplanned rooster. Finally re-homed him via Craigs list.)

9. lindy

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    update photos

[​IMG] 22 weeks

[​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop