BYC Café

Good morning and thanks for the hot coffee! Onions will not hurt your chickens.
It is breezy here and generally nice. Congrats on the field trial results, Sour!
Be safe with the rains coming in, Ron... CA is about to get a whole lot of damage with all of those fire scars. Chores are on the list for the morning and then off to the big city for the airport run so I guess it will also be a shopping run while we are on the plains. LOL!
Enjoy the day you all!

@pennyJo1960, yes, separate the little bulbs from each other. Then plant them 1-2" deep, and cover the bed with mulch. They'll poke up through the mulch in the spring, and if it's past frost, gently pull the mulch away.

You can cut the greens, sparingly; they feed the roots. The first year, they may not put up any topsets. Those are the little onions you have; they grow on a stalk. A few of mine did the first year, and I just replanted them the next fall.

They get their name of walking onion because that topset will get heavy enough to fall over, and they can root another plant. Yes, on top of the soil, but plant yours in the soil to protect them from frost.

You can eat the topsets, like a pearl onion. You can dig the onions out of the ground, but then that plant won't grow back the next year.

The clumps grow and get bigger each year. The second year, I was digging half a clump up to use the onions. Here's a picture of the onions with a quarter for scale.
View attachment 2873417
So, not very big. I dug these just a week ago, and they had put up a stalk with the little topsets. I think I've dug them before they do that and gotten bigger onions.
Those look really good!

Is it safe for chickens to eat onion tops/greens?
Better not to.....

View attachment 2873325
https://nwparrotrescue.org/important-documents/toxic-foods
By Christal Pollock, DVM, Dipl. ABVP-Avian
Lafeber Company veterinary consultant & Laura Doering

The next pullet started with 55 grams :ya:

1634824750507.jpeg

I really hope that each will have their own dinstinctive colour.

The storm is still raging, by the way.

Congratulations @sourland ! Always nice when the hard work pays off.

Good morning and thanks for the hot coffee! Onions will not hurt your chickens.
It is breezy here and generally nice. Congrats on the field trial results, Sour!
Be safe with the rains coming in, Ron... CA is about to get a whole lot of damage with all of those fire scars. Chores are on the list for the morning and then off to the big city for the airport run so I guess it will also be a shopping run while we are on the plains. LOL!
Enjoy the day you all!
The fire near highway 50 could be a problem. There have been mud slides up there before that closed the road.
There should be enough rain to put the fires out!

Morning everybody! I put tea on this morning (may have to quit coffee, so y'all let me know if I lose my Cafe Card because of it). So DL can make the java today. ;)

44 F and clear, with a big fat moon this morning. I have six finished dolls, photographed and ready to list in my shop, bills to pay, and my Friday house chores to accomplish today. And after that, I get to play with new designs I've been up to--I love my job!

What's on your agenda?

Back
Top Bottom