BYC Café

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KingOfFools, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    I will neither confirm or deny..........

let's just say, I've eaten some very questionable things.......fish, mamal, reptile, and insectile......

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    We watch those survival shows, and I just shudder to think how badly I'd starve if I had to eat some of that stuff....

Heck, I ate squirrel for the first time this year. Well, I think I had tasted a small piece a long time ago, but I actually cooked these myself.

3. Tumbling K

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    well you get a group of guys together and see if there isn't some daring between buddies, about what you'd cook and eat.....

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Now, THAT is camping.
    My dad and husband took everything but the kitchen sink.
    If it takes three days to pack and a week to unpack, I'd rather not go. [​IMG]

5. Tumbling K

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    well since I can't convince the wife or kids to eat everything I bring back to the campfire, that is pretty much how we camp now......

6. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Overrun With Chickens

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    It would depend 0n what your bringing back. Fish? Of course, to me it is expected while camping. Rabbit or squirrel? I really love the taste of rabbit. I suppose I could eat any bird. But I have absolutely no desire to eat anything reptilian, amphibian, or insect. Ick

7. Tumbling K

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    rattle snake is pretty good table fare, or rather campfire fare.....

field larks are not.........black birds are surprisingly good, just takes many to fill the pot.......

our mullet are not good........hardheadsd not too bad

I don't know if many of you have heard of redfish.......but down here they are one of the targeted saltwater species. well a very popular way to cook them is redfish on the half shell. you basically fillet a the fish, leave the skin and scales on, season the flesh, and cook it like that, with the scale side down........it's really only gotten popular since my adult years. but we cooked them like that since I can remember, while camping, because the scales would protect the flesh from the fire.......

8. N F C

N F C just 1 more cup pls Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Alligator is pretty good. I've tried rattlesnake and didn't care for it. Fish and rabbits are good. I ate some squirrel when I was a kid and didn't know what it was...now it doesn't sound so great.

DH was in the Navy and part of his training was survivalist training for 7-10 days. Those guys ate anything they could find, they weren't allowed to take any type of rations with them. He learned a lot, I know he'll always be able to take care of that sort of thing is worse comes to worse. But if I don't have to eat bugs and lizards, I won't lol.

9. Tumbling K

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    unfortunately, or fortunately we never tried alligator in the field......lol

10. N F C

N F C just 1 more cup pls Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    You need to try a FL field [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by