BYC Café

Good morning, Cafe. Thanks for the coffee, Shad.
Had a good work day at mom's house yesterday. I need to pick up the windows and a few supplies today and have DH help me wrestle the tub/shower surround out of the bathroom. I can then finish removing all the second layer drywall and the first layer in all the areas I'm going to tile.

I was originally going to set the wall tile outside the shower stall on the original drywall but decided to just take it down when I saw how badly damaged it was. I started at the bottom and it just crumbled in my hands. The back of the wall was covered in mold. Once I had the wet wall interior exposed, I could see more mold growing on the back of the drywall behind the kitchen sink base cabinet so I cut that out too.

Once I clean it all out, I'll wrap up all the cold lines with insulation so they don't sweat in there anymore. And of course install green board instead of standard drywall when I start rebuilding.

I'm REALLY glad that I decided to gut to the studs and will have all that nastiness OUT of mom's house.
We had to do a lot of mold removal at my Parents house back in the 80s. This is one reason I wold not have a tile shower LOL!

Good morning Cafe.
Thanks for the coffee Shad. What, if anything, can you do about those roof beams? Perhaps you should invite DL over for a working holiday when the travel restrictions ease, and she can sort it all out properly for you :D;):p
They're meant to move; just not too much!:D
The main beams are composites and these don't move much.
Screwed down above these main beams are the rails and these are 2x4 battens essentially. On top of those are plywood sheets and these are pretty stable.
It's the battens that move the most.
Most houses with wooden framed roofs have wood movement. Usually you don't hear it but they're moving I promise you.:p
Dl is more than welcome to come over and re-plaster the walls if she's good at plastering.

We had to do a lot of mold removal at my Parents house back in the 80s. This is one reason I wold not have a tile shower LOL!
The products available today to waterproof the stall did not exist in the 80s and certainly not in the 50s!
I'm using Kerdi membrane. And the house is on a concrete slab.

One very common comment I get from people who spend a few hours here in my house is they couldn't live here because it's too quiet.
A friend who is used to city life stayed here for a few days. I went out to take care of the animals for a bit a left them in the house. They looked very agitated when I got back and said they thought a large animal ran across the roof and what did I think it could be. I know it was a chicken because I watched Able on the roof from the sheep field.:lol:
Many people are just not used to the kind of quiet where you here all those conversations going on in your head. It scares the crap out of some because they are so used to the various distractions that are common for many.

Many people are just not used to the kind of quiet where you here all those conversations going on in your head.
I suspect a lot have got more used it during the lockdown!
I am more worried about your roof now than I was before, if a chicken running across it sounds like a large animal from below! How thick is that ply? and how much soil under the grass? ('not enough' is the answer, methinx ;) ) Or is Able a particularly chunky chicken? :p

One very common comment I get from people who spend a few hours here in my house is they couldn't live here because it's too quiet.
A friend who is used to city life stayed here for a few days. I went out to take care of the animals for a bit a left them in the house. They looked very agitated when I got back and said they thought a large animal ran across the roof and what did I think it could be. I know it was a chicken because I watched Able on the roof from the sheep field.:lol:
Many people are just not used to the kind of quiet where you here all those conversations going on in your head. It scares the crap out of some because they are so used to the various distractions that are common for many.
My Mom's place in the mountains is like that. It is very bad on moonless snowy nights! No noise and not light

Yesterday my middle DD and I went to Costco. It was terrible! Not only were people not social distancing, They were in the get out of the way I am going to run you over mode!

And this is going on as our county is shutting down Bars and etc. because of a surge in cases

I told my daughter that many were going to die

Back
Top Bottom