BYC Café

I assume that's the derecho? Stay safe! :oops:
It doesn't have to be a special event storm. All you need is a soaking wet ground and lots of rain. With thirteen acres, some trees are bound to fall over. The people that had this place before us didn't do much maintenance.

Had to do some 'Chicken Juggling'.
Flock had Juniors segregated(trapped) up on the coop roost,
so they couldn't partake of the ice pans in either run.
I fooled the flock to all go into the big run and shut them out of coop,
then shooed the Juniors out into the small run and shut that door.
Was easier than I thought it would be and am relieved that at least I know the Juniors have cool water to drink and wade in...since it's 87 feels like 99.

Now am back inside under the ceiling fan with an icy mug of coffee.....

....looking forward(NOT) to this coming over the lake,
they say it may weaken "but are currently producing damaging winds, heavy rain, and frequent lightning."

View attachment 2285066
Stay Safe!

It doesn't have to be a special event storm. All you need is a soaking wet ground and lots of rain. With thirteen acres, some trees are bound to fall over. The people that had this place before us didn't do much maintenance.

Cap, hon, ever hear the expression about teaching your grandmother to suck eggs?:)

We have a bit more than 7 acres of what can be very soggy ground at times (do Venus Flytraps tell you anything? We got 'em!) The combination of record rain in 2018, Florence, a drought, then Dorian, has killed probably 70% of the upper story trees on our property (mostly pines). Isaias actually did me a favor - there was a grape-vine-covered pine that had been leaning toward the house ever since Florence pushed it that way. With Isaias making landfall to our south and west, we got some pretty strong wind from the east, and it knocked the top off that tree so that it fell away from the house. Until you have experienced the dense jungle that woods commonly are around here, it may seem hard to believe that a tree close enough to fall on the house was virtually inaccessible, but it was (for one thing, it grew on the edge of a small sinkhole). Not having that thing hanging over my back porch is a great relief, but yeah, every time we get a decent storm come through, I go around to see what new dead falls I get to pick up.

But I had just finished reading a news item about a weather phenomenon called a derecho that was wreaking havoc across several states in the upper midwest today, and what @aart posted sure looks like it!

I'm nervous based on that map and this description. Stay safe!
It's over! Was windy and lost another branch off an already damaged tree out front but it just missed the fence. Lost ISP a couple times, but power never flickered, tho I did turn off my laptop for the duration. Everything else is AOK.

But I had just finished reading a news item about a weather phenomenon called a derecho that was wreaking havoc across several states in the upper midwest today, and what @aart posted sure looks like it!
Yes, was same system....much worse earlier between Iowa and the Lake....it really slowed as it hit our coast. Whew!

Back
Top Bottom