DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
woke me at 3.30am, which is really the dead of night. Firing on half cylinders as a result this morning 😩
I hate that! Slam some more coffee down and try to stay vertical and on the move all day. That's the only way I can function when that happens to me. As soon as I sit down my body says "Oh. We're done? I'm outta here!" and I pass out.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
LS is only 24 weeks.
I stuck her in the crate after dark, she did lay late, but still.
Hopefully she's not just having trouble laying, tho her nethers look and feel fine.
Will keep a close eye in the next few days.
Yep, she's broody.
Fed her in crate this morning, she gobbled down scratch then crumble.
Got her out and put her on coop floor, she went outside for maybe 5 minutes then went straight for a nest. SMH.
She's not fluffy pancaking or screaming, but was ticking a bit.
Back into crate for the day.

CapricornFarm

Chicken addict
Premium Feather Member
Feb 1, 2010
Southern Virginia
Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.
It will be an intermittently drizzly day today. I will have to play dodge the rain drops to get my materials on site for the roof build tomorrow.
I've got the brackets up for the new run perch but never went out to find a 13' branch to notch and install on them. I was quite the bum yesterday. But I needed a break.
No wonder, you are always working hard.

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
Yep, she's broody.
Fed her in crate this morning, she gobbled down scratch then crumble.
Got her out and put her on coop floor, she went outside for maybe 5 minutes then went straight for a nest. SMH.
She's not fluffy pancaking or screaming, but was ticking a bit.
Back into crate for the day.
That sounds like the way Una went broody the first time.
It's like the hormones say 'hatch eggs' instead of 'lay eggs' but the level isn't so high that they also say 'kill everything within a 3 foot radius of you'.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
That sounds like the way Una went broody the first time.
It's like the hormones say 'hatch eggs' instead of 'lay eggs' but the level isn't so high that they also say 'kill everything within a 3 foot radius of you'.
Bout spit coffee! :gig
Have broken several pullets just by tossing them out of nest multiple times a day.
Didn't want to do that here so she's crated and will probably let her out for a walk near roost time this evening, then crate her again if she doesn't roost.

Top Bottom