BYC Café

I battle it more than I'd like to.
I had a terrible time with depression in my teens and 20s, with recurring bouts in my 30s and 40s. It's due to some chemical imbalance in my brain, and I will be on fluoxetine, probably for the rest of my life. A much as I don't want to be "on" stuff, the tradeoff is worth it.

I was talking to someone, and he said they finally put their daughter on an anti-depressant. Her teacher told them that the difference in their daughter at school was like night and day. He said that they resisted putting her on meds, and now he was sorry they waited. I told him my story, and said, "Think of it this way: No one thinks a diabetic should not be on insulin if they need it, right? Same thing with brain chemistry."

I had a terrible time with depression in my teens and 20s, with recurring bouts in my 30s and 40s. It's due to some chemical imbalance in my brain, and I will be on fluoxetine, probably for the rest of my life. A much as I don't want to be "on" stuff, the tradeoff is worth it.

I was talking to someone, and he said they finally put their daughter on an anti-depressant. Her teacher told them that the difference in their daughter at school was like night and day. He said that they resisted putting her on meds, and now he was sorry they waited. I told him my story, and said, "Think of it this way: No one thinks a diabetic should not be on insulin if they need it, right? Same thing with brain chemistry."
I've been on anti-depressants in the past. They didn't really help. DH is on fluoxetine for the AD.
Maybe I should talk to my NP about trying something different.
My niece has also been on a slew of different anti-depressants. She ended up on 5 mg of Adderall 2x a day. She's done a 180 in her mood and productivity. She actually has ADHD that has been misdiagnosed as depression for years. Makes me wonder about myself.

I've been on anti-depressants in the past. They didn't really help.
If they don't work, get your thyroid levels checked. There are lots of people on not working anti-depressants that would need some thyroid medication instead.

ETA: And vitamin B12 and D levels too, as a deficiency can cause depression too, among other things.

Last edited:
I had breakfast with 2 former coworkers that I haven't seen for about 3 years. It was great to catch up. They both know DH. One of them had run into him and Nan at WM a few months ago. He never told me.
So much for the weather forecasters. It started out with drizzle but now it's sunny and warm.
IMG_20211025_121742807_HDR.jpg

Looks like she changed her mind. I clicked your quote to try to figure out how I missed it and it's been deleted.
Welcome to the Cafe'. Pull up a chair, dust off a table and help yourself to the coffee.
Oh sorry I was really busy that time and decided I didn't have much time to chat.
I'm here now!

Back
Top Bottom