BYC Café

IWell there does come a time when many are no longer able to be in charge of themselves.
Best to have the person you want in charge of your affairs determined prior to that happening.
Absolutely, and this can be arranged in a straightforward, respectful manner rather than subterfuge.

One morning when I was out with the dogs I ran into the woman that owns Coco, one of Bella's favorite playmates. She was carrying a bunch of milkweed. I asked her what she was doing and she said she's been raising monarchs all summer long! I was immediately interested and she showed me what to look for and took me up to the house to show me her setup. I left that day with four caterpillars of my own. On the journey home one must have fallen off the milkweed so I only had three when I more closely examined the milkweed the following day.
Here are those three:
IMG_20220909_093821002.jpg
IMG_20220909_093852512.jpg

After I cleaned out their habitat I noticed this little guy must have hatched off of one of the fresh milkweed stems I brought in. It will probably still be a caterpillar when I get back from vacation.
IMG_20220909_093918791.jpg

I never knew there was another creature that could rival a chicken for poop production! This is just one day of frass from those 3 caterpillars!
IMG_20220909_093703540.jpg

One morning when I was out with the dogs I ran into the woman that owns Coco, one of Bella's favorite playmates. She was carrying a bunch of milkweed. I asked her what she was doing and she said she's been raising monarchs all summer long! I was immediately interested and she showed me what to look for and took me up to the house to show me her setup. I left that day with four caterpillars of my own. On the journey home one must have fallen off the milkweed so I only had three when I more closely examined the milkweed the following day.
Here are those three:
View attachment 3253654View attachment 3253655
After I cleaned out their habitat I noticed this little guy must have hatched off of one of the fresh milkweed stems I brought in. It will probably still be a caterpillar when I get back from vacation.
View attachment 3253658
I never knew there was another creature that could rival a chicken for poop production! This is just one day of frass from those 3 caterpillars!
View attachment 3253659
They eat a lot - they poop a lot. The chrysalis they form while pupating is very pretty.

Good afternoon everyone!

Another fresh pot is on the counter, help yourselves to it! :caf

@sourland: How is your Maggie Mae doing today? Have you been to the vet's office yet?

After lots of rain and even thunderstorms for the last few days, it is nice to see the sun shining through the clouds again. At now 5 p.m. it does not burn anymore but helps to shake off the shivers that keep creeping up my old spine due to all this humidity.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom