BYC Café

Rained on and off all day here....supposed to keep that up for the next 2 days.

My niece and her 6yo son stopped by for a quick visit on their way home to Chicago from Ann Arbor(GO BLUE!!) It was so GOOD to see them, been probably 3-4 years. Kids a pistol, asked a lot of good questions about the chickens. Chickens were not happy with his presence tho.<chuckles> ...and they brought me treats from the Apple Orchard they visited nearby.

Made an afternoon pot. Have some Swiss roll.
IMG_20220925_161056359_HDR~2.jpg

DH has bronchitis. He's on liquid amoxicillin and liquid prednisolone.
After we picked up his prescriptions, we got something for lunch, including a stop for frozen custard, then went shopping for his apartment and found some cute things. We had a fun day despite the bad start by waiting over 1.5 hours to see the doctor. Who happened to be Dr. Doolittle. Seriously.

I think I solved the Bella diarrhea mystery.
When we were at the vet they were running a '10% off senior blood panel' special for Sept. She was due so I had it done along with a snap4 so I could get a paper prescription for her heartworm preventive. Lo and behold, she came back positive for anaplasmosis. A tick borne illness.
When the vet told me, he asked if she had any unexplained nose bleeds or other bleeding or bruising, loss of appetite... No, no, no, yeah right!
"She's asymptomatic so the general recommendation is just monitor", he said.
Okay.
The next morning I took them for their first run in three days and she started limping. It got worse throughout the day so I didn't run them yesterday. She seemed better.
She was hitching a little this morning so that got me thinking of when Bridget got Lyme and was extremely lame.
Sure enough, lameness is another symptom of anaplasmosis as is the diarrhea itself.
I'm calling the vet in the morning and TELLING them to call in a prescription for doxycycline.
I want her sound for our vacation so we all can enjoy it to the fullest.

Does this tell whether it's an active case of anaplasmosis?
Nope. And even after a course of antibiotics and the dog is completely asymptomatic, they will continue to test positive for at least 2 months. It is looking for antibodies in the blood so that's how long they are sticking around after an active infection.

Back
Top Bottom