BYC Café

Me too!! He was also super smart sometimes you had to negotiate with him. :lau

He was half black Lab and half Great Pyrenees.

And thank you! We did too!!

He really was a great dog. Not perfect but what dog is? Lol

We had to put him down a little over a year ago now, just a few days after Christmas. :hit
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. It's hard when we lose them. :hugs

It really depends on the activity level of the dog. If they are the type that run, bound and jump over logs and branch piles and such, the risk of such an injury increases exponentially over the only leash walked dog.

:confused:

All the ones I know with them, except Gator, are very active young dogs that run and tear all over the yard. Still no issues.

Libby and Franklin have gone on many hikes and off leash walks/running around too. Though they don’t hike a ton lately but still. Their hikes are big ones up mountains too not little strolls.

Franklin especially is extremely active and lightning fast and tears all over the yard as fast as possible (which is pretty dang fast) when gets his zoomies. He’ll leap over or go around (or through) anything in his way and turn on a dime or leap over Libby.

Even he has never had an issue.

Of course he also has feathers protecting them as opposed to shorter coated dogs but still. Even Libby hasn’t had issues.

Not saying that they won’t ever have issues or that other active dogs don’t. Libby and Franklin are both young, about 2 and 1 1/2, so they could very well have issues eventually. But rather just saying that not every active dog will have issues. Libby and Franklin haven’t yet and Libby has had just about every other medical issue possible :lau

Same with the extra toe on Faverolles, at least on mine. That nail never touches the ground so it doesn't get worn down.

I guess you don't want to know how sheep are/were sometimes castrated.

Given you posted at 3 AM, you likely didn't know if you wanted a late night snack or breakfast!

I didn’t realize they had an extra toe!!!

And OMG do they really do that!? Ew! Lol

And :lau I didn’t eat dinner till like 10. :lau :oops:

Should I tell everyone how dramatic Molly is when I trim her nails 🙄 I have to pin her with my legs because she's the most dramatic baby ever! 10 years of this 🙈 and she's not leaving this Earth any time soon!

She bites the groomers so I stopped bringing her to them because she can't wear a muzzle due to her flat face (pug) and them trying anything can seriously damage her breathing. Plus she has idiopathic epilepsy and too much stress can cause it... Welcome to life with Molly 😂

:lau OMG!

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. It's hard when we lose them. :hugs

Thank you! It definitely is. Especially since he was only 6 1/2 :hit

Looks good! Nothing like getting all your cooking done at one time!

Thanks! And :lau definitely very convenient!!

All the ones I know with them, except Gator, are very active young dogs that run and tear all over the yard. Still no issues.
Yes, but I'm not talking about running and tearing all over a yard. I'm talking about running and tearing through the woods where they jump over and through a variety of things that can snag a dew claw if they aren't accurate.

Yes, but I'm not talking about running and tearing all over a yard. I'm talking about running and tearing through the woods where they jump over and through a variety of things that can snag a dew claw if they aren't accurate.
Yep, that's what my Ruby does. She doesn't have the extra toe thing, but twice she has broken a toe nail. She is a drama queen, but it must hurt a lot. I can't even touch it, I have to take her to the vet to fix it. Poor girl.

Yeah I figured but you also said only leash walked dogs which they’re not. They do all that too and have been on numerous hikes and off leash walks. Including up mountains. And also their yard is huge and has a lot of brush and potential for getting snagged on the sides. Franklin tears through the brush and crashes through the raspberry bushes all the time. Never been torn. Not saying that he won’t ever have an issue but they’re not sheltered dogs living in a perfectly manicured lawn or neighborhood. They’re hard charging, active dogs that play HARD, body slam each other into the ground and brush constantly, tear through the brush, etc.

I’m sure many active dogs have had issues so I do totally get removing them but not every dog will.

Yep, that's what my Ruby does. She doesn't have the extra toe thing, but twice she has broken a toe nail. She is a drama queen, but it must hurt a lot. I can't even touch it, I have to take her to the vet to fix it. Poor girl.

Frank and Libby do too but still haven’t torn theirs yet. :confused: But OMG poor baby!!

Buy some quik stop... It'll save you a lot of time. I have that stuff handy at all times. It stops the bleeding quickly and seals up the quik.

If I ran to the vet every time my dogs broke a nail, I'd be at the vet weekly.

Back
Top Bottom