BYC Café

I had a breakthrough with the cockerels last night! I switched which pen I had them in and both went in to their coops for the night on their own!!! Woot! No more shuffling cockerels! No more trying to get warring factions to sleep together!!! And Alice and Abby went into Lucy's coop with no problems, ON THEIR OWN!
That's awesome! Your patience is paying off :clap

Moving is a hassle no two ways about that! I've done 2 long distance moves and they are rough.
Don't I know it! DH was in the Navy for 30 years. Thanksfully I was only his wife for the last 10 of it! All that moving is exhausting! But so nice to experience different areas like that.
Moon got some banamine (NSAID) and SMZ's (antibiotics) this morning. I dissolved the SMZ's in some apple juice (a trick I learned with Betsy) and gave it to her in a syringe. She was like, "hey, that's yummy! Got any more?" So I filled the syringe with apple juice and gave her that, too. Don't know if she's up to eating, yet, but it looks like fluids won't be a problem!
Good to hear she has a little help with the pain, and is enjoying some apple juice. I sure hope this little one pulls through okay.
YES!! I want two of those and three of these and a couple of those and oh yeah....four of these..... According to the chicken math article I read on BYC that's only 7!!! I can do 7 :celebrate
Yikes! I better stay away from that catalog.
Oh that's right....a chick equals 2/3 of a chicken!!! Wow....back to the catalog! Thanks Debby
And after they arrive, you'll have at least 6 or 7 weeks to build that extra coop! It's a win win! A new coop and new chicks!!!
We don't have one of those around here. Now I'm wishing we did.
You might be able to order it online. Costco online store has more than the storefront to offer.
Great news Valerie!
Thanks! It has been a long couple of weeks. Next step is to integrate Abby and Alice in with all the hens. I just want Lucy's coop imprinted on them first. The cockerels are settled into their separate coops and runs until they grow up a little.
Morning, Debby! He's doing so good. I'll have to get an updated picture to share with you. Just a little ball of fuzz :D
How are you doing? I think I asked yesterday, but at the rate this thread is moving lately I think things are getting lost in the matrix!
Looking forward to that photo myself. Only way I can have cows is to enjoy yours. DH says no to 2,000 lb pets. And boy are you right about how fast this thread moves! I miss a lot of stuff! And then being 2 or 3 hours behind all of you, I usually have to make a fresh pot of coffee! :D

I'm finding the whole coop-choosing to be the biggest challenge right now. :thAnything I like is kinda pricey.....and I am not handy.
We weren't handy either and we made a pallet coop. We needed a tall one because my boy Squatch is very special to me and requires space since he's such a large bird.

I still need to stain it, I haven't decided what color stain I'm going to do yet. I was thinking mahogany. We are building one similar but half the height for the ducks.

These pallets are special ones and have basically no space between the slats

IMG_20191118_134828.jpg

I'm finding the whole coop-choosing to be the biggest challenge right now. :thAnything I like is kinda pricey.....and I am not handy.
The coops are the biggest challenge to me too. DH builds them, but 4 years into this chicken journey and now I have 4 coops...for only 12 chickens...and all are being used. In March we are finally building one big 8x10 coop. Why didn't we do that to begin with? :th Is there any way you could get a shed and repurpose it? You might find one on Craigslist or a local trader mag.

The coops are the biggest challenge to me too. DH builds them, but 4 years into this chicken journey and now I have 4 coops...for only 12 chickens...and all are being used. In March we are finally building one big 8x10 coop. Why didn't we do that to begin with? :th Is there any way you could get a shed and repurpose it? You might find one on Craigslist or a local trader mag.
Building bigger is often suggested on the welcome thread. Sadly, many do not believe the advice!

Back
Top Bottom